+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: Why a Harley Davidson isn't a real American Motorcycle

Post Likes
    So many bikes produced in the 90's-2010 or so didn't make it. Kind of a heyday for customs
    and after market motors. Even companies like Easy Riders and another I forgot that marketed
    custom bikes.
    I thought the Confederate had a chance. Some interesting engineering and very fast.
    Something HD has that others don't is the really huge after market so owners can personalize
    their bike. Or restore an older bike. Like the Model A Ford. Almost build one from scratch.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Then there was Ridley Motorcycles ( automatic transmission ) producing bikes for 6+ years…or thereabouts

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KRPxIKnkfGqLYv

http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/motorcycles
    I remember the Ridley. Weren't they really cheap or was that another I forgot. One that was like 6K.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I remember the Ridley. Weren't they really cheap or was that another I forgot. One that was like 6K.
    IDK, the answer to your question…..I requested a catalog of their bikes years ago and had it sent directly to a friend of mine unbeknownst to him who is a big Ducati guy, suffice to say he got a chuckle out of it…

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I'm OK with AMF. I own an 81 Sturgis edition that Willie had a hand in it's design. Black on black.
    If AMF hadn't bought in there wouldn't be a Harley today. Or any American MC.
    The quality is very much in any new Harley. I bought my wife a 03 1200 to replace her iron head.
    A sweet bike to ride especially when comparing my 81.

Recreating a name like Indian is a hard road. For the same money a buyer could have a Harley or
    risk a lot of $$ on an Indian.
    As far as engineering goes and the expected vibration many HD's have, there is a perk. Put your lady on
    the back and hit about 4000 revs. It works for me.
    Yup, something about those "sympathetic vibrations" that gets em going. Most all women want to ride a Harley. If I recall, Harley tried to patent that sound and vibration. They finally put rubber isolaters in 2004. At least you could see what was in the rear view mirror!
    .Please consider donating $11 to Tunnels to Towers, a great way to help Veterans, who fought communist ideology all over the world.
    Hail the Republic!

Post Likes
    Not sure HD could patent the sound. I did hear ()that also.
    Hard to do when every motor has it's own sound. Knuckle, flatty, pan head, shovel, sporty, Evo, Twin etc.
    Should keep the lawyers busy.
    Even with vibrations, there is a sweet spot. ~(.)(.)~ I think the knuckle was the best looking and the shovel best sound.
    Hear no Evo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in