Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 37404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast

Thread: Stupidest Service Call you've run!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FixItMick View Post
    I once had a customer who's ducted system would trip when the compressor would start due to a melted run cap.

He said he got it going with a 'band aid fix'.

He seemed quite impressed that he 'apparently' got it going and takes me down to the switchboard to show me.

To my amazement I find an actual band aid stuck to the front of a 25amp circuit breaker stop it from tripping. So now when I get told there was a band air fix I do take into account that there may be an actual band aid involved somehow.
    Except breakers are designed to trip even if the handle is screwed down. So, he just got lucky.

Post Likes
    Ive Got one!!!

10 or so years Back I had one of my Chain restaurants call early one morning saying they had no exhaust fan...
    Climbed on the roof only to find they literally had No Exhaust fans Both fans and the make up were Gone Stolen overnight along with Food cooler condenser!!!
    Im there walking across the roof calling the Police on my phone when out of the corner of my eye I see a fog of something spraying straight up. I run over and see its a liquid refrigerant line where the thieves snipped it off and stole their unit too. its still spraying in bursts pshhhh pshhhh pshhhh! after about the fourth time I look over the roof into the parking lot and I see a service van (one of our competitor's) so I walk down to see a tech with a flipped Drum of R-134 just purging liquid pshhhh I said Buddy yo!! You have no condenser on the roof...he said What? Look on the roof I would have checked there first..
    It seemed someone over the weekend helped themselves to 4 fans and 3 or 4 condensers.

Post Likes
    I had a no cooling call and the lady insists somethings wrong because it doesn't feel 70. Stat was set at 70 temp read 70. I checked the whole room with my thermometer and it's 70. Checked the cooling had a 20 delta T. She would not accept that there was nothing because she doesn't think it feels 70. So I asked her what 70 feels like and she says cooler. So I set the stat at 68 and left. Unreal

4. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I work for a housing maintenance company and get a no a/c call.
    When i get there the lady shows me her "fan screwdriver" and shows me how she starts the ofm with it. It's obviously a bad capacitor but being polite i let her finish telling me that when it gets hot she turns the air on then goes out to start the fan. When it's cools of she turns the thermostat off.
    I tell her that i should be able to get it fixed quickly.
    After about 10 minutes I've got the new capacitor in and unit is operating satisfactorily. Checked filters and told her it was a capacitor and that I'd be happy to come back if she has any other issues.
    Not fifteen minutes later my boss calls (laughing). He tells me that i made her feel stupid because shed been starting the fan with a screwdriver for several weeks and when she finally calls it in it took so little time to fix.
    The best part is that the tenants get free 24 hour maintenance and service through the lease and could have called in day one.

6. Likes HeatenCoolair, UNIBIT liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Had a no ac call today. Get to the building and its 73 degrees...(103 heat index) i tell her its to hot to to hold 71 degrees. Then she tells me the sad story of how someone had turned it up to 74 and she turned it back down to 71 and it only got down to 73 but wouldnt go lower. Luckily i had another service call in the same complex. took care of that one and came back and told her that her unit is running fine it should be back to normal tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Had a stupid call last week.
    Brand new freezer wasn't getting cold enough.
    Got there and it was a cooler with a freezer tag maintaining perfect cooler temps

9. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Disconnect turned off by customer.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    We can control fire & ice.....

Post Likes
    20 + year old Trane Voyager RTU. Has conventional thermostat that's calling for fan and cooling, but unit is doing nothing. I don't work on these things very often, and I'm not really sure where to start.

As I look in the cabinet I find myself staring at a giant control board with another control board next to it, and another control board next to that one with about 100 black wires going back and forth between them all.

Other than that, this seemed to be a very simple unit. One stage of heat (with it's own ignition module) and one stage of cooling. I was really close to ripping out all of the electronic crap and re-wiring it to work without it (which I think would have been fairly simple). I did finally trace the problem to a corroded economizer plug with the help of some old HVAC-TALK posts that I was able to dig up with my cell phone, so a big Thank You to HVAC-TALK!

Anyways, working on this unit made me think of how over complicated some things are, for almost no extra added benefit.

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Customer call said her upstair unit keep on shutting off.Her downstaire unit is running fine and the first floor is cool down to 67. I came out and look at her stat upstair and was set to 74,lower the set point to 67 and running just fine.Elderly woman so i didn't even charge her

Post Likes
    Had a no heat when it was around -10 to an apartment complex I had just done the maintenance on. Got the call the next day and was like o sheet what did I forget. Got there and this Somalian lady answers the door in a tube top and running shorts. It was +80 in the apartment and she felt cold.

Post Likes
    Late night call to a market for a freezer hi-temp alarm
    Walk the end of the aisles to find a door wide-open
    Self-close torque broken & popped open during/after defrost
    Taped door closed until could source parts.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Years ago I had a "will not cool" call on a rooftop gas pack on the lobby of a nursing home. When I got there the thermostat was turned to cool off, fan on, so I turned it on to cool. The unit started cooling fine, so I monitored it for a little bit and observed no problems. I went to find the maintenance man for more backstory...

Me: "Did you turn the thermostat off on that lobby unit?"
    Him: "It blow hot, it hot."
    Me: "Did you turn it to cool?"
    Him: "...huh? It blow hot."
    Me: "If you just have the fan on it will just blow warm air. You have to set the thermostat to cool for it to get cold."
    Him: "You have to set it to cool?"
    Me: *...writes up a 2 hour minimum ticket and goes home*.

16. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don't know if it was stupid or just lack of common sense, which I guess automatically makes it stupid.

A manufacturing plant had 5 10 T package units with 200k -250k gas heat and another 7 or 8 smaller units in the 80k - 125k range. The manager calls up and says that everyday in the winter the units come out of setback, maybe 1 or 2 will run, the rest will lock out. He would reset them and all would be good the rest of the day. They had the installing Co. send out a tech 3 or 4 times to fix it, never figured it out, had the gas Co. out the gas pressure in and out of the meter was fine. Would I come out. I asked when they units were set to start. He said 7 AM. I sad all of them. He said yeah. I said change your start time so only a couple are starting at a time. He says that will spread the time out to far because the set times were in 15 minute increments. I said change the clock so that 1/3 are 5 minute fast and another 1/3 are 5 minutes slow.

He calls the next day, FIXED IT.

Post Likes
    Got a call on Labor day, around 7pm. Customer: "My furnace is in the attic and I have water in the water heater closet coming from the ceiling. can you come out to investigate?" Me: "Turn off the AC, I will schedule you for Tuesday 5pm (first available), if the water stops its the AC, if the water doesn't stop its something else, call me back if you need to cancel."

I get there and ask to see the closet where the leak is........ The water heater supply pipe has a pin hole leak, shooting the water up at the shelf above the WH. The ceiling above the shelf is dry. At the homeowners insistence i inspect the furnace anyway,...well is was an easy call, and easy money......diagnosis, Call the plumber, my HVAC license does not allow me to touch your WH, which is rusted at the union anyway...
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    I was on a call at an Electrical Engineers home once. The call I got was "No Cooling", and do a "PM" on the unit. So I get there just in time to hear the compressor try to start, and the shut off. I instantly think to myself the compressor windings are opening on internal temp switch. I'm thinking alright, it's just a capacitor, a PM, and I'm out of here. So I go knock on the door and meet the customer. He insists that he is going to watch me do the work so I don't screw him over. I'm like great, one of these guys. I walk up to the unit and pull the disconnect, take the top off of his condensing unit, feel that the compressor is hotter than crap, and start the process of my PM. I get the hose from my van and start washing the coil out, and cooling the compressor that's 200 + degrees. He's watching me the whole time telling me I shouldn't be taking his unit apart just to do a PM. He tells me I'm going to ruin his compressor by running cold water over it. He tells me I'm killing his lawn with all that water I'm using. He wines and cries the whole time. I finally get the coil cleaned, the compressor cooled off (and the windings temp switch closed), and the unit put back together. I check the compressor capacitor and it's done for. So I put a new one in, and I'm ready to run the unit to check everything. I put my gauges on, and clamp the amp clamp on my meter to one of the hoses on my gauge set so it will hold itself. He starts screaming at me to leave. I'm like what the hell is going on man? He starts telling me that he's an "Electrical Engineer" and that I'm screwing him over, and that I don't know what the hell I'm doing, and that I'm trying to take an amp reading on my refrigerant gauges. Lmfao!!! I tell him that I'm just using the amp clamp to hold the meter for me so I can keep it in view, and so I don't have to set it in the wet grass. He keeps insisting that I don't know what I'm doing. I plug the disconnect back in, and the unit takes off like a champ. The charge is perfect, the amp reading is perfect, and I saved his compressor. I go write up the work order, and charge him for a capacitor and a PM. I go back to the door, and the guy completely flips his lid. He said I'm only paying for a PM, your company said I'd only be charged for the PM, and on and on. Best part was, this was the first call of the day. What a way to start your day. Lol.

20. Likes HeatenCoolair, shavedneon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Haha,just had one like that last week.Guy said nobody charge for a diagnosis around here.I turn and ask him does he work for free?I told him if he can get me a licenced HVAC company on the phone that does not charge then he wouldn't pay a penny,but if he can't then he pays me double.Any guess as to what he did?

22. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I had one a few weeks ago, it was a house that was being sold off to a new owner and the bank wanted to sell everything that was in it to people in town. So I got there because both system wasn't cooling and it's in the 90's outside. When I arrived, there was 10-15 people going in and out of the house with the front door wide open. Talked to the person that called us out there, she says it not cooling and I thinking to myself... Ummm. So I go upstairs and found t-stat in the off position and some guy comes and says he turned it off because the furnace was hot and thought there was something wrong with it. So I liked... Well the furnace is in a hot attic, so yes the furnace is going to be hot. I started it back on and it was cooling great at 20 degrees drop, however come to find out that the downstairs unit was frozen because there wasn't any filters in the return and clogged the evap coil. I left with that system off to thaw out to come back another day.

Post Likes
    Had a call from a landlord, AC not working, he would be gone but left a key. Me and my lead tech went to check it out, found no condensing unit anywhere, not even a trace of it being stolen. Inside there was no furnace, coil, or ductwork. Called the owner and asked what was going on, he said the tenants called him and he didn't know there was no system at all. Paid the bill and never heard from him again.

Post Likes
    I took a helicopter to a tower site on a mountain. Temp inside the shelter was over 100 degrees. Dead batterues in the tstat. I changed the batteries. Then I hooked up the common wire so they would get their money's worth out of that service call.

26. Likes hedrash liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowteck View Post
    I took a helicopter to a tower site on a mountain. Temp inside the shelter was over 100 degrees. Dead batterues in the tstat. I changed the batteries. Then I hooked up the common wire so they would get their money's worth out of that service call.
    Lmfao. That's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    We can control fire & ice.....

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 37404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast