Thread: Rheem 412 thermostat factory defect?

Post Likes

Rheem 412 thermostat factory defect?

Raptor123, Eric1234, and 2heat all proved, with measurements, that some Rheem 412 thermostats not produce signals required to modulate the furnace through the entire 40% to 100% modulation range.

2heat suggested he had a source for a fix available through (WR) as there was apparently not one available from Rheem.

Did Rheem (or WR) ever fix this problem with this thermostat?

The original thread can be found at:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=439932&page=4

Post Likes
    No takers?

I need to find a modulating thermostat that actually works -- any recommendations?

Post Likes
    I haven't heard that one but did have 2 complaints just this week that when the furnace is running on very low firing rates, the stat shows the house is 1 below setpoint which is bothering the new owners.

Post Likes
    So now there seem to be 4 different people that observe/measure this problem. The old thread commented on a fix (from WR -- I assume that is White Rodgers) but none of the posters to that thread has weighed in with a solution that is easy to find.

I emailed WR about a modulating thermostat to see if they made the Rheem/Rudd unit. All they said is I would have to talk to R/R about it.

What is the sense selling one of these fancy new furnaces if the controllers don't control them right. Rheem/Rudd should be reamed by someone about this.

Post Likes
    Email Rheem the link to the 4 threads about it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes

Anticipator question

I can't find a place to email Rheem about gas furnaces.

Until I figure out this 412 issue, I'm going back to my old mercury thermostat. Does anyone know what I should set the anticipator at for a Rheem RGFG modulating thermostat?

Post Likes
    Since you have the communicating furnace, how about the matching control?

Post Likes
    I'm not too keen on spending twice as much for a communicating thermostat. But I would like to find a modulating thermostat that actually modulates the furnace through it's entire range.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet! View Post
    I'm not too keen on spending twice as much for a communicating thermostat. But I would like to find a modulating thermostat that actually modulates the furnace through it's entire range.
    Well, you've already bought one stat that didn't do the job.

Now, you're looking at another that may or may not do the job...

Think about how much have you sunk into this and how much would the right stat have cost you up front?

Just

Post Likes
    Thanks so much for your contribution jpsmith1cm.

The Rheem/Rudd $2 thermostat apparently doesn't work right. Why should I think their $5 thermostat will be any better.

I don't have to think too much about how much I have sunk into this, because it's zero -- I haven't bought a thermostat. I'm trying to find one that actually does what it is supposed to with the new furnace. That's why I'm here asking. Any suggestions?

Post Likes

It works.

I installed a Rheem 412. It appears to be working fine with the Rheem mod furnace. It's modulating through the entire 40% to 100% output range, as it should. The mod furnace and this thermostat make the furnace nice and quiet most of the time, and they are maintaining an even temp in the house. Twilly was right -- the Rheem mod is nice.

As far as the thermostat goes -- the screen sucks because it is very hard to read w/ its blue background and black letters. But it is not hard to program, and I am finding that after I got it programmed I'm not messing with it much, so I don't have to read it.

Post Likes

It's not working right some of the time.

I thought it was working well. It turns out this thermostat is doing the same thing others have mentioned. It is not keeping the temp at the set point. It modulates the furnace through the 40% to 100% range, but from time to time I look at the temp on the thermostat and it's up to 2 degrees lower than the set point. Then the furnace comes on 100% to catch up, then it goes back to either working right, or dropping too low. Anyone have any ideas?

Post Likes
    We've had 2 people complain about this recently. The tech rep says there have been no complaints to Rheem but I still think there's some bug in the stat.

Post Likes
    I agree. Have you heard of similar problems w/ the newer HD stat?