Thread: Adjusting Blower Speed for Humidity Control

Post Likes

Adjusting Blower Speed for Humidity Control

Can someone tell me if it is possible to put a switch on my HVAC system so that I can manually set blower speed? I live in Washington DC and the humidity is terrible. During the heat of summer the AC stays on long enough to dehumidify the house. Come September, when it is in the low 80s, the AC shuts off before the humidity comes down.

What I'd like to do is have a switch so that I can adjust the speed on the fan to slow it down during these slightly cooler September days. I understand that I have a three speed blower, but I'd have to change the wires to adjust the speed. Instead, I'd like to hire a professional to put in a switch that lets me adjust the speed.

Does anyone think this would work?

Post Likes
    It could work. Or could be put on a humidistat. A GOOD pro could rig that up. Of course that only works if you are calling for cooling for longer periods of town. Usually in mild weather, the A/C doesn't run much so even a slower blower won't do too much.

Post Likes
    I live in same area.
    3 years ago installed 2-stage AC with variable speed blower. Higher end Trane.
    It also has a feature where it "undercools" to remove humidity. While it works, it simply makes the house up to 3 deg. cooler and I notice the lower temp.
    This is what you are proposing (i.e. run system longer at lower fan speed)
    IMHO, I have come to the conclusion that dehumidification using an AC is a secondary (albeit nice) effect, but that if your primary goal is demudify then you need a
    whole house dehumidifier.

What we have experienced late which is endless rain, but low temps, means no calls for AC and therefore no humidity removal with an AC. In the spring and fall (shoulder seasons), humidity removal by AC doesn't work well. You want something that removes humidity without removing heat. But by design and AC always removes heat. The dehumidifer also removes heat but then dumps it right back into the house. Therfore if its 73 for example, the humdifier can run all day without making the house too cold.

Post Likes

Thanks

Thanks for your response.

Post Likes
    As per the AOP Rules only Professional Members * can reply with
    advice
    to the OP. Anyone may post and ask questions. They may even
    question the * member answer but not give advice or expand on the
    advice given. Please read these rules for a complete understanding. AOP Rules
    For those in our industry who wish to become a Professional Member, please click here and follow the
    instructions. Apply for Professional
    Membership
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-08-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Non * member

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in