Thread: Mini split in place of PTAC

Post Likes

Mini split in place of PTAC

I need some help to understand if there is a chance for me to replace the PTAC unit in my condo apartment with a mini split. The PTAC (IslandAir unit replacing ZoneAir unit) is installed in the 40x16 sleeve and as all of them too noisy to sleep in the same room with. I’ve been told that there are no quite ones and the only solution is MiniSplit.

The problem with the mini split is that according to the bylaws of my condo I cannot hang anything outside of the windows, install brackets on the walls, etc. Another word I cannot alter the way our 34 story building looks from outside. Even PTAC grid has to stay the same. So the outdoor unit cannot be visible from outside.

So the question is if there is a way to install the outdoor unit of the minisplit system inside of the PTAC's sleeve. Are there small ones (< 40x16) that will fit? Which is the smallest? Money is not an issue here. I am actually willing to install a bigger PTAC sleeve or even remove the old sleeve and box out the area where PTAC is installed to install the compressor of the mini split. I just do not know if the outdoor unit will be adequately ventilated through the 40x16 opening in the wall. I am desperate here. Do you think it can be done? Has anyone actually has done it?

Post Likes
    The industry standard for PTACs is 16x42. If you can eeek a couple of more inches in the wall and use a standard 16x42 sleeve, you can get a much quieter unit. The GE 6100 is really quiet. Actually so quiet I can't seem to get them at the moment. Anybody know why not? The new Amanas aren't too noisy anymore and LG has a quiet unit.

Post Likes
    With all the restrictions on your building, BaldLoonie is right

Post Likes
    I've been told that ALL the PTACs are much noisier than mini-splits. If new PTACs are comparable in terms of noise to the minisplits which is the quietest PTAC? I need 15000 BTU with heat.