+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boredom = Awesome Ideas & Poor Execution

Post Likes

Boredom = Awesome Ideas & Poor Execution

I had some stuff lying around and a friend of mine needed an air compressor.
    Attachment 175502
    Attachment 175512

Pulled the compressor out of a unit we scrapped. The air tank was a freebie.

It works and works really well. Super quiet, fast filling, and portable. I kept the suction accumulator, drilled an extra hole in it, and setup an oil dipstick. I added oil to the accumulator until I could hear a slight gurgling. I set a mark on my welding rod dipstick and that should keep the compressor pump from running dry. All I'm missing is a dryer cord cap to complete it.
    Attachment 175522

Post Likes
    I've seen people use the compressor on their vehicle to make an air compressor. Works pretty well too. Never seen anybody apply ac parts the way you have. I like it.

Post Likes
    if you don't mind i'll be taking that idea and doing the same for my shed.. great idea!!

Post Likes
    or just go to home depot

Post Likes
    Have at it. I wouldn't use it for painting as you'll never be able to economically get all the oil mist out of the air mix but it'll work fine for anything else.

Post Likes

Smile

Where does the oil vapor go from the hot gas line after discharge ? or will it not migrate ? u have way too much free time

Post Likes
    There is a regulator to cut that off at 175?. And a pop off valve on the tank?.

Post Likes
    I reused the tanks manifold assembly for the blow off valve and to feed a pressure switch in the electrical box. It cuts off at 150 psi btw.

My next project for this system is to create an expansion chamber. Something that will slow the air flow enough for water and oil to condense and drop out of the air. It may get some copper coils and run water through them or such to help cool the air.

Idunno, anybody have any ideas?

Post Likes
    What you have created here is a 25 gallon bomb! As you stated there is no way to remove the oil from the air so you are filling that tank with an explosive air fuel mixture and compressing it to 150 psi. If something sets it off it will take out your whole house!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
    What you have created here is a 25 gallon bomb! As you stated there is no way to remove the oil from the air so you are filling that tank with an explosive air fuel mixture and compressing it to 150 psi. If something sets it off it will take out your whole house!
    Tell your friend to keep his insurance paid up.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    It's not oil/oxygen. It's air/oil and plus the tank has 2 rupture disks on it. I would need thousands of pounds of compression before it gets anywhere near having the oil autoignite.

I understand your concern but I believe you're being overly dramatic. Your home a/c can be a bomb as well if you have a mix of 410a and air under pressure.

Plus, it's not my house.

Post Likes
    Autoignition? I agree.
    Do you suppose that there is a chance for a spark to be created in the steel to steel valving of the compressor? I don't know. The manufacturer designed it to pump inert gases. Sounds like a crap shoot.
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    yew! 25 gallon bomb is an even better idea, i was trying to work out a way to get a new shed. that should do it.

Post Likes
    Here is an eye opener. Apparently motor oil was being used in this compressor and coking formed in the tubing and then a spark went into the tank. Scroll down to the pics.
    I used to use motor oil in my compressors, no more. I tore down the tubing and inspected the tanks, then put synthetic compressor oil in. One of my compressors is 1972, the other 1947.
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/stateface/ca/05ca010.html

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wanttosee View Post
    It's not oil/oxygen. It's air/oil and plus the tank has 2 rupture disks on it. I would need thousands of pounds of compression before it gets anywhere near having the oil autoignite.

I understand your concern but I believe you're being overly dramatic. Your home a/c can be a bomb as well if you have a mix of 410a and air under pressure.

Plus, it's not my house.

Someone does not know how a diesel engine works....

The only issues I see is you do have windings in the air stream....There is your ignition source...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes

Wink

I think the pictures and story link at post #14 are OVER DRAMATIC.
    This setup clearly needs promotion on YouTube.
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in