+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some dust help?

Post Likes

Some dust help?

My personal system. 3 years ago when we bought this house (55yrs old) it had the original boiler system in it. Well I ripped it out. I did a load calculation like I would anyone else. House is just under 1700sqft. 60,000 furnace with 2.5 ton of cooling. AprilAire 5000 air cleaner, humidifier, dehumidifier, fresh air piped into return with damper controlled by AprilAire 8920w stat with lockouts. All brand new ductwork, all of which is air tight. System runs perfect. Original windows which are getting replaced soon. All exterior doors replaced. 4 common returns. 3 low side wall, 1 high side wall. We have 2 kids smaller, 2 dogs, my wife and myself. We do live in the country and next to a farm. Prevailing winds blow air from us to the farm. Winds come out of the SW and the farm is north of us. We get so much dust in our house it’s insane. We aren’t dirty people. Our house is lived in but clean. We vacuum atleast every other day. All hardwood floors. Just area rugs in the bedrooms and living room. I can clean the kitchen table now and you would be able to see dust on it in 1-2 days. Any help ideas or something I may be missing would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    My first question is: did they use any wall cavities or joist cavities for return air runs? If yes, that could be the root of your problem. The negative pressure inside of these runs can literally suck the dust out of the attic or crawl space continuously. Also, generally negative pressure in the house can be an issue. Make sure your house is continuously slightly possessive to keep out dust

Post Likes
    Suggest a blower door test with smoke to find the leaks in the structure. Sometimes the power company will do for free as part of their energy efficiency mandate from the fedgov.

Good chance on a 55 yo home that you have lap siding and no form of barrier under that siding.

...and you run the fan continuously, right? April Air 5000 is what I have and it is a good filter provided you can tighten up the structure.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in