Thread: Troubleshooting defrost problem

Post Likes

Troubleshooting defrost problem

I have been working on a Carrier heatpump model #HC1CJ030-A. The unit will not go into defrost. I have tested the defrost sensor and it is showing closed. I have bypassed the sensor with no luck. I have shorted the test pins, no luck. I have 24 volts between the defrost terminal and the common terminal. I have replaced the board with a new board, no luck. I work at an apartment complex, so I tested another unit by shorting the test pins, which it went into defrost. I then took that circuit board and installed it on the unit that is giving me the problem. Again, the unit would not go into defrost. The charge is correct on the unit. Any ideas?

Thanks, Creek

Post Likes
    Will the unit swich into the cool mode? (this tests the operation of the reversing valve.)
    Beyond that our rules limit our help to non professionals. See the rules and apply.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Yes, the unit will go into the cool mode. I'll disconnect the outdoor fan and run it in cool to defrost the unit.... What's the deal with the rules? I came to this site to get some ideas!

Post Likes
    check all the wiring connections if you are a tech if not call a pro. before you make the prob worse.

Post Likes
    Creek,

Unfortunately, we aren't a DIY site. Please read the forum rules if you have any questions.

There are numerous things that could be wrong with your unit. Please turn to a professional to come out and check your system. If you are a pro, please get your post count up to 15 post's and apply for Professional status.

Thanks and welcome!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    I have been working on a Carrier heatpump model #HC1CJ030-A. The unit will not go into defrost. I have tested the defrost sensor and it is showing closed. I have bypassed the sensor with no luck. I have shorted the test pins, no luck. I have 24 volts between the defrost terminal and the common terminal. I have replaced the board with a new board, no luck. I work at an apartment complex, so I tested another unit by shorting the test pins, which it went into defrost. I then took that circuit board and installed it on the unit that is giving me the problem. Again, the unit would not go into defrost. The charge is correct on the unit. Any ideas?

Thanks, Creek

Post Likes
    Chances are, you'll be better off either way by contacting a professional in your area and having them help you deal with the problem. That's always the safest, quickest, cheapest and most efficient way to diagnose the issue at hand.

Mitchell Mechanical
    Only Pro members may have links to their company websites.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-07-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: removed link to his company website

Post Likes
    I would like to thank everyone for there input, sorry if I stepped on any toes! I have been working with hvac for 30+ years. Started in 1980 when I enlisted into the US Navy Seabees. I then worked for a HVAC company in both there installation and service dept. With that said, I wouldn't consider myself as a DIYer. I'll figure it out...

Thanks, Creek

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    I would like to thank everyone for there input, sorry if I stepped on any toes! I have been working with hvac for 30+ years. Started in 1980 when I enlisted into the US Navy Seabees. I then worked for a HVAC company in both there installation and service dept. With that said, I wouldn't consider myself as a DIYer. I'll figure it out...

Thanks, Creek

Get your post count up to 15, and apply for pro membership. Once accepted, you'll have access to the pro forums, where their is a lot more info that you will find very helpfull.

There is more then one apartment maintainence guy that is a pro member here.

To provide you with the info your asking for. Would leave that info out in the open forum for DIYers to use.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in