+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHAT CERTS should i get? I just got obtained my G3

Post Likes

Confused WHAT CERTS should i get? I just got obtained my G3

Hello fellow HVAC techs.

I am proud to say that I just obtained my G3 HVAC Gas Technician Certification. I was attending George Brown College in Toronto as a part time home study course.

I know it's just the first step most people take when they enter this field, so i completely understand that this is still just the beginning for me. I'm happy through that i took the first step and obtained my GIII cert. Now I need to know the second step.

I now am looking to go for another cert that will help me get an entry level job as a HVAC Tech. I know experience is a must, but for now I don't want to talk about getting experience in the field. This post was to focus on schooling certifications I can obtain from my college, George Brown College.

Eventually I will go for my G2 and then finally my G1, but for now my question for you is what should be my next class at GBC.

From what I read on this forum is quite mind boggling.

For education certificate wise I hear some people say just get your G2 then apply everywhere for a job, a g2 is all you need. Some people say just take your G3 and that's good enough to get a entry level job. I don't know what to believe. I want comments from Vets, not people that are in the same situation as me just guessing, taking answers from thin air.

I would really respect some vets guidance. I am 32 years old living in Toronto. I have my Certifications in Welding MIG TIG ARC and also have my A+ certification for Windows and Computer Hard Ware.

A councler from GBC told me that I should go for my Gas tech IIA and Gas tech IIB Gas Tech III then Refrigeration and residential air conditioning I and II and also my CFC ODP Card.

Does this sound right?

I know experience is everything, but i don't want to talk about experience right now. The focus of this thread is, I want to know what certs I should take and in what order.

Thank you kindly everyone for taking the time to read this long post.

I look forward to comments regarding my question.

Post Likes
    Last edited by chrismartin1978; 12-19-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: addition

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin1978 View Post
    Hello fellow HVAC techs.

I am proud to say that I just obtained my G3 HVAC Gas Technician Certification. I was attending George Brown College in Toronto as a part time home study course.

I know it's just the first step most people take when they enter this field, so i completely understand that this is still just the beginning for me. I'm happy through that i took the first step and obtained my GIII cert. Now I need to know the second step.

I now am looking to go for another cert that will help me get an entry level job as a HVAC Tech. I know experience is a must, but for now I don't want to talk about getting experience in the field. This post was to focus on schooling certifications I can obtain from my college, George Brown College.

Eventually I will go for my G2 and then finally my G1, but for now my question for you is what should be my next class at GBC.

From what I read on this forum is quite mind boggling.

For education certificate wise I hear some people say just get your G2 then apply everywhere for a job, a g2 is all you need. Some people say just take your G3 and that's good enough to get a entry level job. I don't know what to believe. I want comments from Vets, not people that are in the same situation as me just guessing, taking answers from thin air.

I would really respect some vets guidance. I am 32 years old living in Toronto. I have my Certifications in Welding MIG TIG ARC and also have my A+ certification for Windows and Computer Hard Ware.

A councler from GBC told me that I should go for my Gas tech IIA and Gas tech IIB Gas Tech III then Refrigeration and residential air conditioning I and II and also my CFC ODP Card.

Does this sound right?

I know experience is everything, but i don't want to talk about experience right now. The focus of this thread is, I want to know what certs I should take and in what order.

Thank you kindly everyone for taking the time to read this long post.

I look forward to comments regarding my question.

Sorry, I couldn't help but notice that there has been over 20 people that has viewed my post, but I haven't received one answer. I'm not sure if i put my post in the wrong area or if their are quite a few people that do not know what certs one needs after the initial G III (Gas Tech 3 Cert).

Since I am getting many views and no answers can one tell me where to put this post where I can get answers from an experienced HVAC tech whom may assist me in my career path?

I would greatly appreciate some help, thank you.

Post Likes
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you with your question but be patient for replies, its normal for a thread to reach 50 before getting 1 reply.

EPA 608 certified: Universal

Post Likes

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleun494 View Post
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to help you with your question but be patient for replies, its normal for a thread to reach 50 before getting 1 reply.

It's hilarious to find hundreds of people viewed this question for months now, but no one is knowledgeable enough to answer such a simple question to anyone that's in this field ?!?!?!?!...

I could be wrong, but should you not know what certs are beneficial to have to be one step ahead of the competition of other new technicians just getting into this?

I'm still waiting for an answer. I have asked around local and have received a couple of answers, but from where I live there are only a couple of tech's ( I live in a small town).

One guys said to get my WHIMIS cert and people will really like seeing that i have that on my resume. Another guy said to forget the whimis and I should focus on getting my welding certification, because it goes along with being a gas technician (welding pipes and such).

Perhaps someone might be able to give me an answer some time this year?

I'm not trying to be rude, but nothing it more frustrating that coming to a place where you thought would be a good community to ask and answer questions in just to find out that you ask your first question here and it's simple and no one even bothers to answer you... what a piss off...

Post Likes
    Take your g3 and get a job or wait till you finish your g2 that's a call you have to make. After that what do you want to do lay pipelines,HVAC or refrigeration if its one of the last two find a company that will sign you up for your 313 the rest is up to you. The most important thing you need now is experience

Post Likes
    Thank you turkey for your fast reply. I would like to go HVAC. What certs should i get? Liquid tight cert? Wardflex cert? odp card? whimis? 313d?

not sure what other certs there are, but I'd like to go for as many as i can, to get my leg up over the rest of the newbies to the field.

Thank you

Post Likes
    313a your d is a fine place to start but A is where you need to be odp and 636 cert do your whimis if you want it won't hurt everything else you can do as you go again time on the tools is the most important thing you need

Post Likes
    Chrismartian1978 We are mostly U.S. Technicians so we don't know your countries requirements. So take that into consideration before slamming others for viewing your post.
    Also talk to people who work in your area or Province to see what they like, or do not like. What certs they need and how they achieved them. you will get more insight from that.
    Bruce

Post Likes
    I too am in the states, but I think the most logical course would be to figure out what you want to do and where you want to do it, then talk to the employers there and see what they require or desire in a employee.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in