Thread: Aprilaire 700 vs 700m

Post Likes

Aprilaire 700 vs 700m

Our installer quoted our bid with two Aprilaire 700s. What he installed was 700Ms (on the return ducts). We aren't assuming that there was a deliberate switch, but we had looked up the unit online when considering bids and expected the automatic control.

Do we have a reason to complain about the switch? Is there a big difference between the two controls? Is the auto that much better?

Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    I think the auto is definitely better, that's all we sell unless someone insists on a manual.

Might just be a miscommunication though, if he didn't say it was the auto model, he didn't really do anything wrong. Should be hooked up to hot water if it's on the return. They could probably upgrade it to an auto for a fee.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    I think the auto is definitely better...Might just be a miscommunication though, if he didn't say it was the auto model, he didn't really do anything wrong.
    Thanks, its good to know that you think that the auto is better. You're right, it could just be miscommunication.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Should be hooked up to hot water if it's on the return.
    Really? The furnaces are directly next to the water heaters but they actually took the water supply from the line in, not from the nearby hot water lines. I should double check this, but why is it better to use hot water? And why would they not use hot water if it was so close at hand?

Post Likes
    I could be wrong, but aren't the controls able to run auto or manual? If you were supposed to have automatic, call the installer back. I think it's a setting on the control, a different label around the dial, and a temp probe that needs to be run outside.

Post Likes
    They leak air like mad
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    They leak air like mad
    What leaks air?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingpantswhat View Post
    Our installer quoted our bid with two Aprilaire 700s. What he installed was 700Ms (on the return ducts). We aren't assuming that there was a deliberate switch, but we had looked up the unit online when considering bids and expected the automatic control.

Do we have a reason to complain about the switch? Is there a big difference between the two controls? Is the auto that much better?

Thanks in advance!

What exactly does the quote say?

Does it say 700A, or just 700.

Powered humidifiers work best on the supply plenum. A 600A would be better on the return then a 700.

As posted earlier. The 700 mounted on a return duct should be connected to the hot water line if you want it to add moisture to the air. And not just dump a lot of water down the drain.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?