Thread: Which is better? Carrier or American Standard

Post Likes

Which is better? Carrier or American Standard

Hello. Thank you for the help...

Gas heat, electric AC. Price is only about $150 difference and both qualify for the federal rebate.

American Standard:
    4A7A5048B1000 15SEER 4TON R-410
    CE60E44- 15 SEER 4TON R-410
    AUD120R9U5K -80% GAS FURNACE 2 STAGE VARIABLE SPEED

Carrier:
    24APA748A30 -Carrier puron condenser 17 seer
    CNPH*6024A - Evap Coil
    58PH 110-1-20 -80% Boost Furnace

I have no idea how these two compare? Do you have any insight? I would really appreciate that.

Post Likes
    The American Standard furnace is variable speed -- the Carrier isn't. While the Boost may work, I think it's much better to have a variable speed furnace with the 2-stage outdoor unit. You can go with the Infinity furnace inside and the Infinity control, and it would be a very nice system (but then more expensive). I don't like seeing third party (non-Trane/American Standard) coils used just to get the tax credit. Verify your warranty there (American Standard coil would have a 10 year warranty).

Post Likes
    You need to have your contractors explain there systems to you.

I am not a fan of American Standard but the furnace for the Am/Std is a variable speed and the Carrier is not.

That said equipment does not make the install the quality and attention to detail by the contractor does. Has either company performed or offered to perform a load calculation this is very important. have you investigated making improvement to your home to reduce the cooling and heating load to reduce the equipments capacity requirements.

Post Likes
    Talk about hijacking a thread, this isn't a DYI site. Someone removed a thread about replacing a contactor? I swear it was there a minute ago??
    Last edited by Willserve; 06-06-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added last part
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome!

Post Likes
    I am an American Standard fan ,but I'd be an idiot to say that Carrier isn't a fine piece of equipment.
    You are doing what 90% (maybe more) of the people do.That is looking at the equipment and not disecting the contractor and how he will install it.He should provide you with a list of his most recent installs so that you can call them to see how their install and service has been.Will he be around for the next 15-20 years if you need him.Do they have 24/7 sevice if needed.How is warranty on parts and labor handeled.Will you be charged for night or holiday service calls?Will you have to pay and wait for a warranty credit to get your money back? Have each contractor tell you about the duct system,what size it will be and why.One of the most overlooked items in a duct design is the return air part of it.Each room except the kitchen and bathroom need a return air in it.If flex runs are used,the proper take offs need to be used.Flex needs to be sized properly, short,stright as an arrow,pulled tight,and hung properly.Bends and turns need to be sheetmetal 90s or 45s.
    Supply and return main trunk needs to be sheet metal,not ductboard.
    So you see,there is a lot to know besides the equipment.

Post Likes
    Make sure the Carrier coil is the tin plated model and the American standart is the complete aluminum model. If not, you may be susceptible to formicary corrsion which is not covered under warranty.

Check this link:
    http://www.hydro-temp.com/help/drawi..._Corrosion.pdf

Post Likes
    The A-S dealer is quoting an Aspen coil

Post Likes
    They are both good equipment if installed correctly, I just prefer American Standard over Carrier. I install mostly heat pumps down here but as said earlier the variable speed fan is a plus. With newer units air flow and duct work, including returns, are very important. Did they say what kind of t-stat they were going to use?
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome!

Post Likes
    How do you make sure if a Carrier coil is tin-plated from the part number?

Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    Make sure the Carrier coil is the tin plated model and the American standart is the complete aluminum model. If not, you may be susceptible to formicary corrsion which is not covered under warranty.

Check this link:
    http://www.hydro-temp.com/help/drawi..._Corrosion.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crayx4 View Post
    How do you make sure if a Carrier coil is tin-plated from the part number?
    The coil model number will include "ATA" as opposed to "ACA."