Thread: Anyone own a Cranky Portable Winch? If so, thoughts?

Post Likes

Anyone own a Cranky Portable Winch? If so, thoughts?

I was thinking about buying this and the "Port-A-Post" for our shop but it is a decent amount of money, was hoping someone else has tried it out? It's like $1200 for both pieces, so before I purchase it would be great to know how well it works.

They also have an attachment that goes into the van hitch, which seems interesting.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.ladder-port.com/pre_owned...eh=987859&nv=y

Post Likes
    I purchased one 3 weeks ago. It works really well and attaches to the roof hatch ladder in seconds. I lifted a 10 ton scroll compressor with ease. Well worth the money!!!

Post Likes
    2 pipe stands,6ft of 2" pipe and a chainfall = save 700$

Vero Beach, Fl - Goshen, NY and Lake Norman, NC
    Post Likes
    I got rid of her years ago...
    “Your biggest risk is not taking one..."

Post Likes
    Purchase the lau ladder crane instead it attaches to the top of a heavy duty ladder and is portable w/ a capacity equal to the ladder. I've used it raise 7.5hp carlyle semis and copeland 5 hp with no issues. Whole thing is 35 pounds if they still make it , mines 20 years old. You can raise 3-5ton a/c condensers if you are careful.

Post Likes
    I wish I could do something like this, but it would never get approved by risk management or the lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby m View Post
    2 pipe stands,6ft of 2" pipe and a chainfall = save 700$

Post Likes
    I am wondering if they do not make it anymore, as I cannot seem to find it on the net and our supplier says he hasn't seen one in years.

Quote Originally Posted by codgy View Post
    Purchase the lau ladder crane instead it attaches to the top of a heavy duty ladder and is portable w/ a capacity equal to the ladder. I've used it raise 7.5hp carlyle semis and copeland 5 hp with no issues. Whole thing is 35 pounds if they still make it , mines 20 years old. You can raise 3-5ton a/c condensers if you are careful.

Post Likes
    Thanks. That is kind of what we are looking for, something to lift 150-250# range. Anything over 250 we have to rent a crane, company policy.

Did you get the van attachment, too, or just the ladder? I want to try the van attachment since our last two injury claims were from techs loading compressors into their van.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnliz View Post
    I purchased one 3 weeks ago. It works really well and attaches to the roof hatch ladder in seconds. I lifted a 10 ton scroll compressor with ease. Well worth the money!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaels22 View Post
    I was thinking about buying this and the "Port-A-Post" for our shop but it is a decent amount of money, was hoping someone else has tried it out? It's like $1200 for both pieces, so before I purchase it would be great to know how well it works.

They also have an attachment that goes into the van hitch, which seems interesting.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.ladder-port.com/pre_owned...eh=987859&nv=y

Interesting, the company phone number and address is 10 minutes from my shop. I have never heard of them or seen one of those.

Post Likes
    Yeah, they are about 30 mins from our shop and I had not heard of them until last month. I attended the MI Safety Conference and they had a booth set up there.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    Interesting, the company phone number and address is 10 minutes from my shop. I have never heard of them or seen one of those.

Post Likes
    Oh, I misread. I thought the question was does anyone have a Cranky Wench.

Post Likes
    I've never used one.

From the picture, it looks like the top bracket bolts to a single concrete block. I've seen single concrete blocks that were loose before. I think I'd add a strip of angle iron to the inside of the parapet wall to make sure this thing was attached to more than one block. Maybe that's already part of the product.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in