Thread: horiz don't last as long?

Post Likes

horiz don't last as long?

I was recently told by a installer that horizontals don't last as long as upflows. I have never read any post claiming that. The heat exchangers are lifetime, I think that is bull and ask for clarification.Thanks

Post Likes
    Horiz in attic or crawl space? That makes a big difference.

I would say too.... if I was building a house id have a nice conditioned upflow spot picked out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ccut View Post
    I was recently told by a installer that horizontals don't last as long as upflows. I have never read any post claiming that. The heat exchangers are lifetime, I think that is bull and ask for clarification.Thanks
    The labor to replace a warranty hx in a horizontal furnace might be cost prohibitive depending on accessibility etc. Especially a 90 plus model a few years down the road.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amasuperbike View Post
    Horiz in attic or crawl space? That makes a big difference.

I would say too.... if I was building a house id have a nice conditioned upflow spot picked out.
    this particular situation was in a crawl space.

Post Likes
    I would say if conditions were less than ideal in that crawl space....it would last longer as a vertical.

Plus as others have noted you willl have higher repair bills for a unit in crawl space vs upflow.

Post Likes
    i think the location is more of a deciding factor.

if you take 2 multi position furnaces and install 1 in a nice dry basement and put the other 1 in a nasty crawl space which one will last longer???

Post Likes
    2 add to that......

if you had to work on 2 furnaces and one was upflow in a nice dry basement and one was in a insulation pit of a crawl space.....

which would have more labor hours involved?

Post Likes
    thanks for you help guys. makes perfect sense.

Post Likes
    Even with lifetime HE warranties, we still have more problems with horz. or downflow furnaces. Basically it is a physics reason...hot air rises, and if it must go horizontally or down, then there is more of a tendancy to overheat (especially if the HO fails to keep the filter clean!). Don't forget the problems when the power goes off in mid-cycle and the manual limit trips and must be reset by a service tech. (homeowners just LOVE this!). Ha Ha

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in