View Poll Results: Attic or garage install for gas furnace?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • ATTIC

12 41.38%
  • GARAGE

17 58.62%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attic or Garage install?

Post Likes

Confused Attic or Garage install?

I am renovating an older home, it has window units and deerborn heaters for heat. My question is where would install the new furnace? Attic or garage are the only options as "the boss" doesn't want to give up storage space inside. Attic is open with enough room for an attic install, I can walk upright the length of the house, was also thinking about putting above garage for easy service access.

What are you prefrenses and why?

Post Likes
    Also wuould you guys install round metal duct or flex duct? Asid efrom from price waht are pros cons?

Post Likes
    GARAGE!!!!!!!!!

Metal is best but usually ducts in an attic are insulated flex. Get at least R6.

Post Likes
    Not a pro, but if the temps in the attic get hot, humid, and nasty in the summer, I would not put it in the attic. My 2 pennies.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    If it was your house you would install metal ducts?

Post Likes
    Depends on the location of the garage - if its at one end of a long skinny ranch, you'll likely have one warm end and one cold end of the house. Get a good installer to give their recommendation. Whatever you do, get an insulated metal supply trunk and main return. Flex is OK for short branch lines off the main supply trunk.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    Depends on the location of the garage - if its at one end of a long skinny ranch, you'll likely have one warm end and one cold end of the house. Get a good installer to give their recommendation. Whatever you do, get an insulated metal supply trunk and main return. Flex is OK for short branch lines off the main supply trunk.
    The garage is on one end, furthest run would be about 35 to 40 ft, from the garage. Was also thinking about spliting return to draw air from both ends of house.

Post Likes
    i would put it in the attic and run a ductboard trunk line with short runs of flex and at least 2 returns maybe more and a april air filter

Post Likes
    the airhandler should be located as center as possible to the areas serviced

Post Likes
    Garage - easier to service, much lower risk of water damage.

Just make sure that the return air duct is sealed up well; you don't want it to pull in car exhaust.

Post Likes
    Guys thanks for the responses, i can see two concepts, ease of service vs air distribution.

Keep the comment coming!
    Which install will provide better comfort?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Garage - easier to service, much lower risk of water damage.

Just make sure that the return air duct is sealed up well; you don't want it to pull in car exhaust.
    i would be more worried about the furnace casing, the filter slot

do not blow any air into that garage either
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Explain to "the boss" that the storage space could cost her $100 a month in the summer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    Explain to "the boss" that the storage space could cost her $100 a month in the summer.
    'the boss' is a mexican woman, the hardest headed woman of all!

Post Likes
    Where the unit is located in your case will not have a drastic effect on comfort. A Variable Speed 2 stage Furnace with 2 Stage cooling will give you the best comfort control technology available. If you are going with a higher end furnace with the variable speed fan motor - - there are thermostats available with built in humidity sensors and dehumidification capabilites built right in. Thats comfort.

Post Likes
    Thats also $$$, which is limited. I am in Texas which means heating is not a priority, would only need to use the furnance like 2 months vs 10 for the AC. I was going with an 80% single stage furnance. Possibly a Payne cuz i can get on the cheap Saddly can't afford the higher end stuff i help make here in Tyler

Post Likes
    if your going cheap you better put it in the garage so its easy to service and replace.

Post Likes
    But isn't Payne just a Carrier without the bells and whistles?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by artdavila View Post
    Thats also $$$, which is limited. I am in Texas which means heating is not a priority, would only need to use the furnance like 2 months vs 10 for the AC. I was going with an 80% single stage furnance. Possibly a Payne cuz i can get on the cheap Saddly can't afford the higher end stuff i help make here in Tyler
    I was going to assume it was a Trane!! Is that who you work for?
    Seriously though...if nothing else....upgrade to a variable speed fan furnace....it will conttinue to pay you back in lower cooling bills for the life of the unit. At the least you can have 80% furnace and a single stage cooling with dehumidifation upgrade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by artdavila View Post
    But isn't Payne just a Carrier without the bells and whistles?

Yes and they have 10 year parts warranty if you register online. So make sure you do this or it will only be 5yr. www.payne.com

IMO your asking for trouble with a unit named payne!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast