View Poll Results: Attic or garage install for gas furnace?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • ATTIC

12 41.38%
  • GARAGE

17 58.62%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attic or Garage install?

Post Likes
    Which is why i will have the load calc verified by an HVAC contractor who is licensed by the state. Like i said b4 i have limited experience with Residential installs, only other load i performed was in tech school about 3 years ago...

Post Likes

Cool UPDATE

Thanks to all you have responded!
    Its amazing that the poll data show a fifty fifty split on install preference, i thought the poll would lean heavily toward garage install.

After inspecting the attic more, ddecided against the attic install. Do not want to stress the attic joist more. Also need to repair some rafters that are split....

Looks like i will be doing a garage install...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    i would put it in the attic and run a ductboard trunk line with short runs of flex and at least 2 returns maybe more and a april air filter
    If you can walk around easily in your attic I recommend putting it there. You can save space, and if located properly service it without any problem. I am recommending this as a lead installer. Have them run ductboard trunk lines with short runs of flex. Dont worry about water problems. If it is installed right with a proper drain pan with a float switch..you have nothing to worry about. Also, if the unit is installed in the attic...make it easy on yourself and filter from the the return grilles.

Post Likes
    Just my two cents:

I saw your reply to another post regarding why you would never consider a heat pump. I think you should seriously reconsider that as an option. Considering the fact that your climate only calls for heat about two months a year you can save a considerable amount of money in your inital investment without having to purchase a furnace and also in operation down the road in fuel costs.

I live about an hour north of Philadelphia where the winter heat load is much higher than yours. Lots of homes around here utilize heat pumps with staged electric back up. Mine is a 4 ton Carrier Infinity system with two stage compressor and variable speed air handler and easily handles a 3200 sq ft home very efficiently. I have my electric strip heaters locked out above 20 degrees and the heat pump does fine.

You can check the code but if it is not a gas fired furnace you may not need all the extra protection if installed in the garage. Either place you install it the heat pump would be my choice.

My last home was oil fired hot water baseboard and I loved it. I swore I would only buy another house if similarly equipped but it did not work out that way. I am not very happy with not only the comfort supplied by the HP but also the operational cost savings and simplicity without the furnace.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    You were told wrong.
    You just eliminated one yahoo hack

Post Likes

Half and Half

Hoz on the back of the garage.. Yeah it takes a ladder, but isnt in the attic
    and not on the garage floor.

HOWEVER the attic in the middle of the house is BEST with Returns at both ends. Perfect "balance" that way....IMHO

Post Likes
    after a manual D is completed and you go to select the proper blower based on the TEL you may find that you're SOL as far as putting it in the garage

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    You just eliminated one yahoo hack
    Its funny that the yahoo hack was a prominent installer in the Dallas area who made millions for another company before leaveing due to 'ethical' issues.

But I do understand your point!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by artdavila View Post
    Its funny that the yahoo hack was a prominent installer in the Dallas area who made millions for another company before leaveing due to 'ethical' issues.

But I do understand your point!
    Well making comments like that to the customer would definately make you prominent.

Post Likes
    are you in a colder climate? I wonder if you have a 90%+ furnace in ether of those area's i would think about cold weather and condensate etc and the slight possibility of freezing traps etc.. Just a thought.
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Post Likes
    I am in Texas, cooling is my priority.
    I may have convinced 'the boss' to give up a closet though!

Post Likes
    I would go with the attic. If you choose the garage make sure you do a good manual d and dont have too much static pressure.

Post Likes
    Have you considered a mini split multi zone heat pump? No need for furnace, no ducts and duct loss and very high efficiency.

Post Likes
    They have limited warranty support and no one stores parts for those things, so when they start to fail, no matter how good the equipement it will fail, i would have to wait on parts to come form overseas since most are not american built...

Post Likes
    They have limited warranty support and no one stores parts for those things, so when they start to fail, no matter how good the equipement it will fail, i would have to wait on parts to come form overseas since most are not american built...
    Many parts in American built units are made overseas. The big players in that market have parts in the States and support. I agree with you that you will not have the part on the truck and you will not be able to fix them with generic parts.

Post Likes
    Another thing is "the boss" does not want to see the system except for the grilles...But the mini splits are nice systems for shops, mother in law suites and lofts....

Post Likes
    Another thing is "the boss" does not want to see the system except for the grilles...But the mini splits are nice systems for shops, mother in law suites and lofts....
    they have in ceiling models and some you can duct

Post Likes

Post Pics of attic

Here are some atic pics, I can walk along the load bearing wall, but since the roof rafteres cross over i was thinking installing the furnaca in the back sections on a platform.

Any thoughts?
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes

Frown This is as close to hell as it gets

Here are some atic pics, I can walk along the load bearing wall, but since the roof rafteres cross over i was thinking installing the furnaca in the back sections on a platform.

Any thoughts?
    OMG!! Working on that system would be like a journey thru hell!! Sucking in insulation dust, sweating like a pig in a hot humid Texas summer, breaking your back and knees hunched over this thing, and banging your head on those rafters???

Meanwhile when the drain pan overflow fails you'll destroy your ceiling's drywall from condensate overflow. (yes, it's not supposed to happen but it does all the time)

You must really hate HVAC techs!!! If I were an HVAC tech, my rates would be triple for installations like this.

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    OMG!! Working on that system would be like a journey thru hell!! Sucking in insulation dust, sweating like a pig in a hot humid Texas summer, breaking your back and knees hunched over this thing, and banging your head on those rafters???

Meanwhile when the drain pan overflow fails you'll destroy your ceiling's drywall from condensate overflow. (yes, it's not supposed to happen but it does all the time)

You must really hate HVAC techs!!! If I were an HVAC tech, my rates would be triple for installations like this.
    I have seen worse then that. But just think about when you fill up that attic with equipment and duct work. There will be no room to move.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast