Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walk in freezer defrost intervals

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Post Likes
    Six defrosts is good - ALWAYS space them out evenly! Do not try to time them to specific times because the first time the power is out or somebody has a breaker off or whatever - the defrost will invariably start occurring during the busiest time of the day and it will be Your Fault.

Six defrosts per day will make each defrost period short - only melting frost and not ice. And so they will all terminate on evap temperature - the X wire - and not on the timed-out fail-safe.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by ACE172 View Post
    I'm once again straying from my comfort zone into the realm of refrigeration. I found a bad defrost timer on a walk in freezer in a restaraunt. I'll be replacing it in the morning. Any suggestions on defrost intervals. I've always heard defrost after lunch rush and then again after the dinner rush. The old timer had six defrost cycles. That seems like a lot to me, but all I know about refrigeration is what little I remember from school. Any suggestions, theories, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

2. Likes Red850kid liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Six defrosts is good - ALWAYS space them out evenly! Do not try to time them to specific times because the first time the power is out or somebody has a breaker off or whatever - the defrost will invariably start occurring during the busiest time of the day and it will be Your Fault.

Six defrosts per day will make each defrost period short - only melting frost and not ice. And so they will all terminate on evap temperature - the X wire - and not on the timed-out fail-safe.

PHM
    -------
    I can't tell you how many times I have opened a clock and seen the X post empty, and the wire taped up in the back.
    The last one was an older True 2 door. After opening the evap, found both defrost term/fan switch and high limit jumped out.
    Thing that make you go HMMMM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12