Thread: Shoddy builder install - new homeowner

Post Likes

Shoddy builder install - new homeowner

Hi all - just spent the better part of a day on here reading 40 pages of threads; now I think I know a little about what's in my house, thanks for the great resource.

Could I have a few opinions on my problem?

Moved into this house at the beginning of the year. Built in '98 but the outside AC unit (lennox) has a manufacture date putting it at about 14 years old. It's noisy and an eyesore, and past it's design life but at the moment it cools the house just fine here in AZ. I imagine the attic furnace is of a similar age, and I expected having to replace some components in the future - thought I could save up a little first though!

I asked a well-recommended owner/operator to come out and take a look, and he found a few things that concern me:

The furnace is a horizontal one which sits just in front of my attic access. Attached to the left side of it is what looks like a homemade air handler... I don't know what to call it... It's a sheet metal box with a copper hard line, an insulated line, and a PVC drain pipe. The thing is, the PVC drain isn't attached at the bottom of the 'box' but at the side. There's no 'drain pan' but there is an emergency one running under the whole furnace and 'coil box' shebang.

Opening up a corner of this strange box and looking in, I see a coil (mounted on the side of the 'box' and it appears air blows out of the furnace and in front of, not through the evap coil. The worst thing is that the coil touches the base of the 'box' it's in and as the PVC drain pipe isn't on the bottom, there's rust working it's way up the coil, because it won't drain all the way.

Coil's rusty at the bottom, and I don't like the idea of rust water between my furnace and the house ducting, but as I said, the AC works well and outside pressure is 60/160 at 81 degrees.

I know I can't change an old evap coil without a buying new condensor, but I really wanted to stay away from having to buy a new furnace too. I can live with not getting a tax credit, and I suppose just looking for some reassurance that I should be able to buy a new outside unit (lennox Xc14 maybe - too bad their rebate ended) and a compatible coil at this point. I know I won't make the AHRI rebate seer with the old furnace, but shelling out $$ for everything would be a hard pill to swallow.

Here's what's up there:

Post Likes
    post some pictures so we all know what we are looking at we can give you better advice if we can see it.

Post Likes
    sorry i did not scroll down far enough you can get a new case coil that will fit the air handler better that`s a mess of a job.the new coil will have a plastic pan attached to it.yours look`s like it`s metal by the look of the pipe coming out for the condensate line.that would look and work better.also have them put a safty switch in the big metal pan to stop the air handler if it fills up with any water. that will save you celing if it did fill up and never shut off.

Post Likes
    its an old horizontal coil poorly installed the rust is normal and so is the drain all coil pans are set up that way but if pitched properly dont have much standing water. because the coils old and has a metal pan id replace it before it rots out and leaks but dont expect the new coil to drain from the bottom they all drain from the side. with proper sheet metal replacing the coil and re-attaching to the old airhandler is not a problem wet switch is definitly a must have.

Post Likes
    if you go with a xc 14 and a aspin coil with a g 6o uhv furnace you could probably qualify for the rebate you would be putting 1500 dollars toward a new furnace if you do it all at once something to consider

Post Likes
    with lennox has to be 16 seer and g71 with proper coil rating to meet 16 seer 13eer minimum to qualify g61 091 and 111 also meet qualifications xc 16 must be paired with 95% furnace to qualify if under 95% xc21

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. I had hoped to keep the initial cash outlay on the lower side, just replacing coil and condensor, and not havingto shell out for a new furnace when the old one seems to work OK at this point. Didn't really want to cut holes in the walls and ceilings to get a new furnace up in the attic either...

Bet that's what everybody says...

I can see the rebate and power company $$ incentives making a new furnace cheaper though, if I do it all at once - same choice everyone has to make. $$ now, or cross fingers and roll the dice for later.

Thanks again.