Thread: Carrier Infinity 21 SEER which filter and humid.?

Post Likes

Carrier Infinity 21 SEER which filter and humid.?

I have quotes from two contractors to install a Carrier Infinity 4 ton 21SEER central ac unit, 110k btu gas furnace, 21SEER coil (after reading about others I am not sure if 3rd party coil or not), and the Infinity TStat. The prices are pretty close and the difference is the filter and humidifier.

I live in No. Virginia and the 21 SEER has been quoted to get the tax credit and the current rebate from Carrier.

The filters that are being quoted are the Carrier Infinity MERV 15 GAPA and the Lennox Healthy Climate® 16 Media Air Cleaner. Which is better or are the about the same? I know that the Carrier is and electrostatic and the Lennox is just a filter pack.

The humidifiers that are being quoted are the Carrier Performance Series Bypass humidifier and the Aprilaire Model 400A. Is there a difference? I believe that I heard that AprilAire makes the Carrier model. Is it better to get the Carrier so that it is controlled at the Infinity TStat?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buhbuhh View Post
    I live in No. Virginia and the 21 SEER has been quoted to get the tax credit and the current rebate from Carrier.
    FYI:

The actual SEER for the Infinity 21, 4 ton, will be more like 16 or 17. "Up to 21 SEER" is more of a marketing ploy as few systems actually achieve 21 SEER.

As long as the a/c system is 16 SEER and 13 EER it will qualify for the Fed Tax Rebate.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buhbuhh View Post
    I have quotes from two contractors to install a Carrier Infinity 4 ton 21SEER central ac unit, 110k btu gas furnace, 21SEER coil (after reading about others I am not sure if 3rd party coil or not), and the Infinity TStat. The prices are pretty close and the difference is the filter and humidifier.

The filters that are being quoted are the Carrier Infinity MERV 15 GAPA and the Lennox Healthy Climate® 16 Media Air Cleaner. Which is better or are the about the same? I know that the Carrier is and electrostatic and the Lennox is just a filter pack.
    I have read that the Lennox Healthy Climate® 16 Media Air Cleaner was rated best of the media filters by Consumer Reports. It is expensive to replace.
    The humidifiers that are being quoted are the Carrier Performance Series Bypass humidifier and the Aprilaire Model 400A. Is there a difference? I believe that I heard that AprilAire makes the Carrier model. Is it better to get the Carrier so that it is controlled at the Infinity TStat?
    Aprilaire Model 400A is what I have. It can be controlled by the Infinity TStat.

It does not waste water as the "normal" Bypass type do, however, you need to change the water panel every thirty to sixty days and clean the inside when you change it to keep bacteria from growing.

The other type need to be cleaned also, but I believe you can get away with waiting a little longer.