Thread: Operations software?

Post Likes

Operations software?

Curious what you guys are using for your Operations software (scheduling, project management, estimating, procurement etc.)?

Post Likes
    We use Microsoft Sharepoint for all project management, scheduling, ect...

Post Likes
    scheduling what is that? Our office uses paper and pencil and a simple graph, each day gets it own sheet of paper.

Post Likes
    interesting topic nikko, we use pen and paper ourselves, wondering if anyone using software sees advantages too it.

Post Likes
    We have used Success Ware for six years. It pretty much does it all. It has a large learning curve but well worth it.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    We use Timberline. Like most contractor software packages it has many features. I used to use it more frequently when I was more involved in our service department. We use it to create job numbers for new construction or installation projects, T&M numbers for service and job numbers for service contracts. Each division in our company has a different cost code so we can track everything from purchases to labor and compare the estimate to the actual on any project.

I think sometimes we have to many cost codes, temperature control installation, temperature control service, mechanical service, access controls installation, access controls service, energy projects etc… We even have a different cost code for each system (Andover, TAC Vista, TAC I/NET, Tridium, Honeywell, Solidyne) and the same for our access division which reps different systems.

We also use it to assign purchase orders, sub contracts, etc…

It has the ability to import or export to word or excel. Our project managers can do change orders, RFI’s etc.. and it can keep logs.
    I do not use it for estimating. Now I mostly use it to print all kinds of reports. I sell projects from a few thousand to a half a million. I track the labor that is applied. It lets me compare each task that I estimated (engineering, drafting, panel building, electrical, graphics etc..) and see where I was low or where I was high. I can check the material cost and cost applied to that job number. Sometimes I find someone charged something from a different project and I can have accounting correct it.

I believe they sell different modules so if you do not need the service module then you would not purchase that module. They also sell the licensing by concurrent users. We started with 3 users and had to increase it. We do our AIA billing, service contract billing and T&M billing through it.

Of course I have found errors. Such as someone entering the wrong task or job number from the time cards. It still requires a human to perform manual entry, and everyone makes mistakes.

It is helpful to look and see what division is selling, and which projects are profitable or which jobs are losers. The endless amount of custom reports can help you breakdown a project to see where a problem is (estimate, field labor, PM, material overrun, travel time etc…)
    It also has the ability to do inventory control if you stock parts and material.

I do not remember the total cost, however it was a big investment and took awhile to get everything converted from our old DOS system and manual records. For a company of our size it is a more effective to way to consolidate and automate the paper work and reduce the office overhead.

Of course you need tech support and maintenance and then there are upgrades. Kind of like the building automation systems we sell.