Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: People Looking for Jobs

Post Likes
    anyone in Tennessee

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    new helper starts last monday, leaves a note in the office door thursday morning saying he has something to do today, he'll be back tommorow. i fumed about it all day. the next morning i told him once more & don't bother showing back up. the only reason he got the second chance is because he will actually work. most new hire helpers we get have no work ethic.
    Have a first year that shows up five minutes late every day and not even ready for work of course most days he has a tims cup in his hand when he's strolling in late.

So ****en frustrating.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nick982002 View Post
    Have a first year that shows up five minutes late every day and not even ready for work of course most days he has a tims cup in his hand when he's strolling in late.

So ****en frustrating.
    That would make it bad for him id send him home ig he cant be on time hes not taking our career seriously theres people out there that will show up every day

Post Likes
    I have 1 or 2 D.U.Is from over 7 years ago. If i had a weakness itd be that. I don't drink anymore and the only substance I use is coffee. I know that's a thing cause of insurance though.

Being as I'm 30, not married and don't use, work is it for me. I don't use the phone in public. And I work like my next meal depends on it lol.
    Just that driving record.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallJ. View Post
    I have 1 or 2 D.U.Is from over 7 years ago. If i had a weakness itd be that. I don't drink anymore and the only substance I use is coffee. I know that's a thing cause of insurance though.

Being as I'm 30, not married and don't use, work is it for me. I don't use the phone in public. And I work like my next meal depends on it lol.
    Just that driving record.

I believe many states will not go back that far. I would suggest going to the DMV of your state and getting a printout and see what comes up.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Good idea.

Post Likes
    I had a guy who applied for a Service Tech position. He worked for 14 different companies over the previous 5 years. He showed up in greasy jeans and a tshirt for the interview.
    He had no documentation of any schooling except A/C school in the millitary 5 years previously.
    I asked him what his problem was. He flat out said that he didnt get long with the other workers and got fired or laid off from all the other jobs. He also hated and wouldnt do paperwork. Also he lived in his van....
    Well, I was really short handed because a couple of new jobs just popped up so I told him Id give him a month.
    In that Month he cleaned up every single long standing Service Job we had. Ones that the other techs couldnt fix. A month later, He also built me a Panel shop and got it UL listed.
    I was more than happy to hire him a assistant to make sure he wore clean clothes and to do his paperwork. The customers loved him because their problems went away.
    Wierdest guy I ever hired. worked for me for 10 years than said he was going to Cabo. Never heard from him again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    this whole society is becoming abig waste of time, employers holding fake interviews just to collect information, employers hiring people for other reasons rather than qualifications, employers acting like they have full-time positions when they are really temporary,

waste of time goes around, waste of time comes around.

the guy in the first post probably just wanted to collect his unemployment check.
    Tell it brother!
    I miss when you could still take time to charge by the frost line.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyray View Post
    I had a young man come for interview for an helper’s job. I almost hired him until he told me that he doesn't work good with his hands and wants to be a lawyer.
    I had a union 1st year Apprentice get assigned to me on a public works job. He wouldnt climb an ladder. Said they scared him. He couldnt hold things like screws because he had 3 layers of gloves on.. I asked him how he expected to do the job which happened to be installing VAV boxes. He said I needed to get him a manlift.....

I actually got him a manlift. I needed one anyhow for a part of the job. Then he told me that he needed an operator because he didnt have training for it.
    He was 32 and I asked him what he did prior to joining the Union. He said he was a Stock Broker.
    That was enough. I sent him packing. I tried..

10. Likes HVACmedic911 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpingram55 View Post
    The market is changing drastically, at least around here, as far as it being more an employees advantage now. The companies are in dire need of guys who can tie their shoes. We are struggling just fore our warehouse/shop help so imagine how it is finding the skilled guys lol. I find other company cards from recruiters on my van all the time.The sign on bonus trick (spread over 2 years lol) is not working anymore. We have a drastic shortage of skilled hvac techs in my area and I know my company knows it. Last year everyone got a $2.50 raise out of the blue, no discussion on it or anything.
    Exact same problem in South Carolina. Major shortage of skilled workers. We have been trying to hire from all over the country and and will pay relocation. Its still tough though. Kids need to start going into the trades again, the pay rates are going through the roof for those willing to work hard. Any top techs looking to move to SC let me know!!

12. Likes HVACmedic911 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cg2 View Post
    My weakness is I wont work for A$$holes who ask me what my weakness is. What a gay question!
    its a valid question we all have an area where we are lacking and the question is more about whether you can recognize what you do not know.
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JFosterSC View Post
    Exact same problem in South Carolina. Major shortage of skilled workers. We have been trying to hire from all over the country and and will pay relocation. Its still tough though. Kids need to start going into the trades again, the pay rates are going through the roof for those willing to work hard. Any top techs looking to move to SC let me know!!
    Where in SC are you? I am in Henderson Co NC not far from the "upstate"

Post Likes
    Lol...that explains why I spent all last week there! I’m going back there today and possibly a few more times! The “other experienced commercial ” techs are lazy and I’m tired of troubleshooting their mistakes...

I’m in a hotspot around the Raleigh area with hard to find help...In about to go 100% independent because of it...70-80 hour work weeks gotta end...for 5k a week with full perks at no more than 4 day work week I might change my mind, lol

Post Likes
    we do a 4 day workweek, but nobody making 5k a week. wish i could. The money is great here though when you factor in the low cost of living. I couldn't believe how low housing and taxes were when i moved here!!

Post Likes
    we do a 4 day workweek, but nobody making 5k a week. wish i could. The money is great here though when you factor in the low cost of living. I couldn't believe how low housing and taxes were when i moved here!!
    Lol..I went from 15k in property taxes on a 1/4 acre to just about 2k in NC with bigger home/garage and property deep suburbs/country ...i escaped before the 2006 massive real estate crash with my head well above the water...it’s been an enjoyable 14 years in NC...crime is practically nonexistent in my neighborhood..everyone loves their guns and shooting!

I was here before it became popular and ranked #2 out of 100 places to live in the USA..maybe it changed because I hate the traffic! Lol

It takes me about 9 months to straighten out a new area of headaches! It’s then ez peezy!

18. Likes JFosterSC liked this post.
    Post Likes
    $15k in property taxes on a 1/4 acre? Sounds like you lived in North Jersey.

Post Likes
    Not Joisey! Lol! But I went to englishtown NJ for racing and car shows/swap meets...It was different investment properties all over and I had this one particular property listed as my primary home as I traveled all over...It looked good on paper (a shallow status quo item, picked up dirt cheap)and close to ocean with easy access to launch my boat....I mainly had bowriders of different types, simple entertainment fish/tubing/water skiing...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACmedic911 View Post
    Where in SC are you? I am in Henderson Co NC not far from the "upstate"
    We are based in Columbia, but have service offices in Greenville, Charlotte and Florence as well.

Post Likes

When the interviewer ask how much you want in pay

Quote Originally Posted by spymoocow View Post
    My current employer asked me what my weakness was. I said "I have a horrible habit of not leaving a job until its completed and the problem solved. It sometimes makes me late to other calls, but to me I believe the customer your servicing at that moment is the most important thing. And I really don't mind working long hours in order to get everything done."

his reply

"how does $$$ an hour sound?"

Its not a hard process to point out your faults. I know im kind of bullheaded and a smartass, but to me, my customer im servicing is the most important thing at the moment. And I refuse to leave them until I either diagnose or fix the problem at hand.

Personal cell phone during interview? Are these people for real? I lock mine in the car when I interview.

I enjoy the one where the interviewer ask how much you will accept $$$$ pay wise before they tell you about the job and its responsibilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMar2 View Post
    I enjoy the one where the interviewer ask how much you will accept $$$$ pay wise before they tell you about the job and its responsibilities
    I scared off a union employer when he asked me where do I see myself in 5 years.....apparently “Being in charge and running this show since I’m a fast learner” is the wrong answer...lol

It was for Elevator and escalator service tech flying around the country, but all jobs have their “ ups and downs “ baaa dat da! Lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast