+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro press sugesstions

Post Likes

Pro press sugesstions

I'm looking to pick up a pro press. I do most light commercial/ residential hvac and refrigeration. Copper up to 1 1/4 and gas piping up to 1 1/4. I was leaning toward the m12 Milwaukee since it seems to fit this profile but was wondering if it was any benefit to me to go with the m18. Do they make an 1 1/4 jaw for gas piping for the m12? Looks like the RLS jaw kit is compatible if I want to press refrigeration lines down the road so that is a plus.

Post Likes
    I've had one for several years, and it works great. If you are looking at doing larger piping than 1-1/4", or black iron then go with M18. My M12 kit came with 1/2"-1-1/4". The RLS jaws work fine as well, I just don't use them much because the cost of the fittings, but the biggest thing is the first fitting off the equipment. You can cut them down to nubs but there's no room for mistake.
    Love, love, love it for water heater replacements and boiler repairs! I keep telling myself I'm going to start using it for hvac equipment, but I just overlook it.
    Don't know if you've read this comparison.
    I thought the M12 was going to brushless, but I'm not sure. In any case brushes aren't really difficult to replace. I've not had to replace mine yet. It's probably due for a service though.
    IMO, there have been many times where I was just able to maneuver the M12 into tight spaces, I assume the M18 would not have fit in.
    Last edited by mgenius33; 09-17-2022 at 08:39 AM.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

3. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have the Ridgid RP-210 for everything under 1-1/4 and the Ridgid RP-340 for up to 4" and am very happy with them

5. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Looks like the m12 is the better fit for me since most of the black iron im doing is 1 inch or less and copper is 1 1/4 or less. The Zoomlock RLS kit is compatible with this tool if I decide to press refrigeration fittings but for some reason Parkers website shows it as obsolete. Anyone know why?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aa7483 View Post
    I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Looks like the m12 is the better fit for me since most of the black iron im doing is 1 inch or less and copper is 1 1/4 or less. The Zoomlock RLS kit is compatible with this tool if I decide to press refrigeration fittings but for some reason Parkers website shows it as obsolete. Anyone know why?
    Don't quote me on this, but I don't think the M12 does black iron fittings above 3/4". Also Zoomlock Max and RLS formerly known as Zoomlock are now 2 completely different fittings. Zoomlock Max keeps advertising buy $500 worth of fittings and get a free jaw set for your respective tool. They make jaw kits for both M12 and M18. RLS has jaw kits for both as well.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=mgenius33;26283543 Zoomlock Max keeps advertising buy $500 worth of fittings and get a free jaw set for your respective tool.[/QUOTE]

I just did this for the Zoomlock Max jaws. Johnstone offered it thru Sept 30.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flanders View Post
    I just did this for the Zoomlock Max jaws. Johnstone offered it thru Sept 30.
    I wonder if Zoomlock Max does Ridgid press guns like RLS does

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    I wonder if Zoomlock Max does Ridgid press guns like RLS does
    Yeah, I have the Ridgid version. Here is a compatability chart.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I'm going to get the m12 with copper jaws up to 1 1/4 and the black iron kit. I wish it would go to 1 1/4 but it's not a deal breaker. This will give me the flexibility to add the Zoomlock Max jaws in the future if I decide.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flanders View Post
    Yeah, I have the Ridgid version. Here is a compatability chart.
    I like the Ridgid tools and have all the RLS jaws but I really dont like my supply house that carries the RLS fittings, my usual supply house carries the Max fittings. I have had very good results with the RLS fittings and they are made in America as opposed to the Max fittings being made in Europe, I'll have to check and see about the $500 worth if fittings for a free set of jaws deal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    I'll have to check and see about the $500 worth if fittings for a free set of jaws deal.
    It's actually a killer deal. You buy $500 in fittings, get a full jaw kit, and a $100 Visa gift card. They've had the promo going for a few months for the past couple years. Don't know if they've pulled enough of the market their way yet or not. I'd imagine they'll end that promo once the refrigeration press tool market share turns their way. I already have 3 RLS jaws though, and don't really want to switch. I feel like there was a strange business fallout going on there and the lone wolf RLS, was left without the big name Parker behind them. Don't know who was in the wrong, it's business, I'm sure there was a little greed on both sides.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but I don't think the M12 does black iron fittings above 3/4". Also Zoomlock Max and RLS formerly known as Zoomlock are now 2 completely different fittings. Zoomlock Max keeps advertising buy $500 worth of fittings and get a free jaw set for your respective tool. They make jaw kits for both M12 and M18. RLS has jaw kits for both as well.
    They have a 1 inch jaw for it now.

15. Likes mgenius33 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For the full size, do you guys use the short throw or long throw? Which is more popular?

Post Likes
    They have a 1 inch jaw for it now.
    Ok, I see they are $700 for the 3 jaw kit. The only issue I see is finding a good chamfering tool than can connect to a 1/2" drill.

Edit: I guess Ridgid make a good one that outside reams and cleans the gasket mating surface all in one for 1/2"-1" sku#37993
    I wish they made a good drill powered tool for copper prep. Using the hand reamers are a PITA.
    Last edited by mgenius33; 10-04-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Post Likes
    I broke down and bought the m18 with copper and ips up to 2" I knew I was going to reget it down the line when I needed to press something larger.

19. Likes mgenius33 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Finally found drill powered deburring tool good for copper!!!

https://remstoolsusa.com/rems-113835...ill-1-2-2-1-8/

Post Likes
    RLS vs Zoomlock Max. Do you think the industry is going to go one way or the other eventually? I hate to invest one way and have an issue getting fittings locally down the line.

Post Likes
    RLS vs Zoomlock Max. Do you think the industry is going to go one way or the other eventually? I hate to invest one way and have an issue getting fittings locally down the line.
    Well, we now have a third, Streamline with a double gasket design. Now that there's more competition, I hope this will make the fittings more affordable. If the ACR press fittings become more mainstream, I would hope equipment mfg's would join the 21st century, and not swage the fittings on every unit. There are plenty of swage tools on the market that are simple to use on the equipment stub. If they left the fitting just a clean straight length of pipe, I think this would be huge for the ACR press industry.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    It's actually a killer deal. You buy $500 in fittings, get a full jaw kit, and a $100 Visa gift card. They've had the promo going for a few months for the past couple years. Don't know if they've pulled enough of the market their way yet or not. I'd imagine they'll end that promo once the refrigeration press tool market share turns their way. I already have 3 RLS jaws though, and don't really want to switch. I feel like there was a strange business fallout going on there and the lone wolf RLS, was left without the big name Parker behind them. Don't know who was in the wrong, it's business, I'm sure there was a little greed on both sides.
    I chatted with RLS’ president a while ago (really awesome guy), and the fallout had something to do with patent infringements, which is why “zoomlock max” is what used to be maxi-pro aka connex. Personally, I like how the RLS fittings press totally circular, and their 90s are all long radius. The other guy’s are basically plumbing fittings rated for higher pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I'll likely get the RLS jaws. Waiting for a big job to justify it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in