Thread: no set screw on blower wheel in Sanyo wall unit?

Post Likes

no set screw on blower wheel in Sanyo wall unit?

Hello,

I have vibrations in one of my units for a Sanyo mini eco-i VRF systems (a KHX1852) and suspected it's a dirty blower wheel. Not a hot day today, so I went about it, fully educated by youtube videos. However, my unit's blower wheel has no set screw and I can't get it out! It is really dirty and begging for the garden hose. I am waiting in line for Panasonic support now but fear it might be too late on a Friday afternoon and I am screwed. But perhaps you know the trick? I've searched this online in all possible ways but only dead-ended. Given the dirt on this thing, and the missing set screw, I would expect this to be a more popular question...

Post Likes
    Try calling a contractor?

Post Likes
    Is this a "real" VRF.
    As in, you are in an apartment or condo, and everyone else is tied into the same outdoor unit?

If so, stop. seriously, stop.

If you knick a coil, you are talking about in the high thousands of dollars in repairs.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

4. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar View Post
    However, my unit's blower wheel has no set screw and I can't get it out! It is really dirty and begging for the garden hose.
    Wow! a talking blower wheel? thats awesome!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Uses a stunod fitting. I think Harbor Freight has a stunod expander.

8. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you for all replies! I ended up cleaning it dry and in-place with a small brush for straws. What a mess! But I did get a response from Panasonic afterwards:

"The set screw is the black dot. You must take the electrical box loose and out of the way" (attaching a screenshot of the graphics)

Taking the electrical out of the way is quite a bit of adventure for me. I think I saw a video for some Chinese wall unit that required you to go that far.

We don't provide graphics of how to do repairs on units. This is a non DIY forum.
    Last edited by rundawg; 09-23-2022 at 06:49 AM. Reason: removed graphics

Post Likes
    This is a joke right? "The set screw is this black dot." About spit my beer up...lol. What is this world coming to? What a stunod.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar View Post
    Hello,

fully educated by youtube videos.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Had a few beers in me last night. Guess what I am saying. This guy is burning the internet up about there not being a set screw. Thus, originally, I am thinking it is pressed on or some other method was used and requires a stunod wrench (man power) to get the wheel off the shaft, or not even meant to come off. Now he comes back to point out that the "little black dot" is the set screw? So it had one all along? Did the OP not see it, expecting an actual screw instead of a hex head set screw, or....... I just sometimes lower my head and shake it side to side?

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I've cleaned plenty of mini splits and I have yet to pull a blower wheel. Just saying.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I've cleaned plenty of mini splits and I have yet to pull a blower wheel. Just saying.
    That’s because you haven’t gone to Boob Tube

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    That’s because you haven’t gone to Boob Tube
    And I have professional cleaners, tools, and experience.
    And I know from others experiences that there is a strong chance of breaking the blower wheel if you attempt to remove it.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.