+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is stealing my gas ?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Who is stealing my gas ?

2007 Toyota Tacoma w/ 2.7 engine.

I always fill the gas tank before I leave the truck sitting. Which happens a couple of times per year. Left it this past April and when I got back in July the gauge said about 1/4. So on my way out I mindlessly stopped to fill the tank. Then, checked MPG and found it was 4.3. There was 56 miles on the trip-set. I mindlessly went 'huh?' and just reset the trip-set to zero. After a couple days of thought I concluded that someone must had stolen the gas while the truck was just sitting here. So I installed a locking gas cap.

Parked it July 1 with a full tank and left it. Now; August 10, the gauge shows 3/8. The locking gas cap is still in place and appears unmolested. So probably nobody stole either tank.

Question: what other possible answer is there?

Truck never smells like gas, is stored in the shade, nothing that I can see about the fuel system appears damp.

Where can 15 gallons of gas go in a month or two of just sitting?

I remember finding old cars - with fully vented tanks - that had been sitting for Years and still had gas in the tank.

I mused this morning that maybe something about the vapor recovery system may have failed - so I got Auto Zone to check the codes. Neither of which have anything to do with the fuel system.

Any ideas?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    someones getting into the tank somehow ....
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

It seems like everywhere I go the AC is broken

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Sounds like someone must have stolen it. I can't see any other explanation. They must be fairly good at opening locks.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I cant imagine a gas cap having a sophisticated lock mechanism

Its probly 1 key that fits all of them lol
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

It seems like everywhere I go the AC is broken

6. Likes R600a, VTP99 liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I cant imagine a gas cap having a sophisticated lock mechanism
    Most of those kind of locks are generic.
    My parents bought a 1990s school bus and installed a new locking tool box under it and the keys were identical. I think they also fit some other locks they had but I don't remember what. Basically you can buy a few keys online and open most cheap locks.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Crs?
    Take pics, write it down, mark the tires….
    Used to put a drop of custom nail polish on safety adjustment screws after calibration to indicate tampering or tape on a door.

9. Likes R600a, Snapperhead, dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did you verify the gauge or the sender itself is not faulty. When you refilled did the refilled amount match what you expected based on the gauge readings?

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Have you tried filling it a second time to confirm it will actually take anymore fuel?

Might be a sticking fuel sender. Not sure how Toyota units are designed but my Ford truck recently was sticking. Apparently a semi common problem with them.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    This truck always gets about 15 mpg. So the 4 mpg caught my eye. <g> But casually assuming I had screwed up somehow, the guy filled the gas tank, gauge said full, and off I went. And subsequent fill-ups showed about 15 mpg.

But after rolling all the likely possibilities around in my head for a day or two I installed the locking gas cap.

Then eventually I filled the tank to leave and rushed off to the airport. Got back here late Friday, started the truck Saturday, and found the gauge near 1/4 again with 13 miles showing on the trip set. <g>

WTF? Over?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    Did you verify the gauge or the sender itself is not faulty. When you refilled did the refilled amount match what you expected based on the gauge readings?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

14. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My original assumption was something like that: "Huh. Damifino. Fill him up - I've got stuff to do."

But the second time (now) I know it's not me. <g>

Nobody is driving the truck. For one thing I always disconnect the battery when I leave. So, although my keys are always here, anyone taking them would find the truck dead. I unbolt the clamp and leave the wrench on top of the battery for when I get back - nobody here is going through all that trouble. Plus; the trip-set miles would match the gas they used. Nobody is THAT clever. <g>

I did consider putting a dot of hot-glue holding the filler door shut. Then if it is still intact in September - the gas isn't coming out through the fill pipe. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Crs?
    Take pics, write it down, mark the tires….
    Used to put a drop of custom nail polish on safety adjustment screws after calibration to indicate tampering or tape on a door.
    PHM
    --------

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Dislikes Galt disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    My original assumption was something like that: "Huh. Damifino. Fill him up - I've got stuff to do."

But the second time (now) I know it's not me. <g>

Nobody is driving the truck. For one thing I always disconnect the battery when I leave. So, although my keys are always here, anyone taking them would find the truck dead. I unbolt the clamp and leave the wrench on top of the battery for when I get back - nobody here is going through all that trouble. Plus; the trip-set miles would match the gas they used. Nobody is THAT clever. <g>

I did consider putting a dot of hot-glue holding the filler door shut. Then if it is still intact in September - the gas isn't coming out through the fill pipe. <g>

PHM
    -------
    I like the hot glue idea.

Post Likes
    I considered that but it would interfere with my 'let's leave it and see if any more disappears' idea. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Have you tried filling it a second time to confirm it will actually take anymore fuel?

Might be a sticking fuel sender. Not sure how Toyota units are designed but my Ford truck recently was sticking. Apparently a semi common problem with them.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    You have a leak somewhere. You need to observe it for a while.

If it's not the gas tank or fuel lines, it could be a fuel injector

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/...ells-like-gas/

or the fuel pump.

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads...cause.1513346/
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Most vehicles have a check valve so siphoning gas is not easy. Of course thieves may have tricks to get around this.

I had to drop the gas tank on one of my vehicles a while ago to service the sender assembly. I just could not pump out the gas due to the check valve and ended up using up the gas and then dropped the tank when about 2 gallons were remaining.

Post Likes
    Or you could hot wire the pump a drain it from the fuel rail test port.

22. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Or you could hot wire the pump a drain it from the fuel rail test port.
    Been there done that.

Post Likes
    Why not leave it empty when you park it prior to a trip?

25. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Probably worried about condensation.

27. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Probably worried about condensation.
    Yeah and with ethanol fuel you do have to be careful.

Post Likes
    When all other possiblities have been properly discounted the one that's left must be it, or so the saying goes. So the logical conclusion is . . .

The Twilight zone.

30. Likes R600a liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in