Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is stealing my gas ?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Post Likes
    It's about 1/8" below the full mark. I keep waiting for it to get lower so I can add a full quart. It pretty much never uses / loses any oil between changes. I've always used Mobil 1 in it. Every once in a while I smell oil burning under the hood and suspect a cam cover leak. I have the new gasket but it has never seemed worth doing so far.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    how much oil is on the dipstick?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    my thought was maybe if it was overfull it may be gas getting past the rings into the oil. leaky injectors or whatnot
    Nest is POO!!

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Name:  gettyimages-77651191-1024x1024.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  185.2 KB

5. Likes BBeerme, rexp, 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The cigarette butts floating...

Post Likes
    Your gas is most likely being taken, I think you would smell or see signs of a leak with the truck being parked in the same area for the entire time.

Look under there for an easy access area. Might not be a boiler drain or beertap but possible a easy to get to clamp with fresh tool marks or a small slit in your filler tube.
    Why not set a camera up pointed at it?

I would fill it with mostly gas and dump about a bag of sugar in and mix it very well.

This would require a complete flushing afterwards but it would be funny.

8. Likes BBeerme, Poodle Head Mikey liked this post.
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Post Likes
    It's a 2.7 four cylinder and has always run like a fine watch. I don't know how many miles exactly but pushing 200,000 for sure. I do run some Seafoam through it occasionally at random but if there is a fuel filter; I've never replaced it.

I originally put bigger tires on it: 235/75R15LT but that was a mistake. With the work cap, full ladder rack, truck-stock weight, and big tires it didn't quite have the azz to stay in overdrive at more than about 70. It would gradually lose speed, downshift, speed up, back into overdrive, etc. I liked the big tires but eventually I tossed them and went to the stock size: 215/70R-15. My mistake this time was that the OEM call is for P tires and I finally found LT tires in 215/70 so I went with the LT version. I could only find one company that made them too. Ranger. I never heard of them but that's what there was so I got them.

Damn they ride hard! <g> In retrospect I should have gone with Michelins in 215/70R-15P - but I want to try these in the snow and see if I can find at least one more reason to replace them. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    my thought was maybe if it was overfull it may be gas getting past the rings into the oil. leaky injectors or whatnot
    PHM
    --------

10. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  45.6 KB

The tank seems to be the same from 05-20.

One of my first jobs, draining fluids from vehicles before they were crushed. Metal tanks, used a 3/8 extension sharpened at one end, punched a nice hole.

Plastic tanks took about 6-7 small holes with a really sharp barn nail. I never bought gas. The old truck loved that junkyard juice.

Anyways I noticed on some of the plastic tanks, there was a factory drain plug. Threaded in. I used the nail.

The tank on your truck should look like this. There does look to be some easy to get to clamps on that filler hose.

12. Likes VTP99, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks! That is nice work. I'll get to look at it again in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Red850kid View Post
    Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  45.6 KB

The tank seems to be the same from 05-20.

One of my first jobs, draining fluids from vehicles before they were crushed. Metal tanks, used a 3/8 extension sharpened at one end, punched a nice hole.

Plastic tanks took about 6-7 small holes with a really sharp barn nail. I never bought gas. The old truck loved that junkyard juice.

Anyways I noticed on some of the plastic tanks, there was a factory drain plug. Threaded in. I used the nail.

The tank on your truck should look like this. There does look to be some easy to get to clamps on that filler hose.
    PHM
    --------

14. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Many farms around here have elevated 2-300 gallon gravity feed fuel tanks.
    Some who suspect gas theft mis-label the gas and diesel tanks. The nozzles are both the same size.

The gas burning vehicle filled with #2 farm diesel might only make it a quarter of a mile away and is noticed next morning.
    And is full of dyed off road diesel....something taken seriously by the DOT boys.

16. Likes BBeerme, desert guy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Put up a game camera so you can know for sure if it's theft

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    Put up a game camera so you can know for sure if it's theft
    I am sitting here wondering how it took till post 50 for someone to mention that.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

20. Likes desert guy, doc havoc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I like RLJN's idea... Put a big sticker near the filler door that says "DIESEL FUEL ONLY".

Of course this could be a bad idea if this vehicle is in Jersey where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123