Thread: My first Balometer

Post Likes

My first Balometer

I got my first flow hood/Balometer last week. Just tried it out... easier said than done. Little by little. I'll have to post a picture later, no option to add pictures on this link.

2. Likes dieseldude, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Which one did you get? I'm finding that if you see routine style supply grilles, you can save several k-factors for them with most balometer brands. So, when you test a certain vent, you select the appropriate k-factor and your measurements will be much closer to actual. Flow hoods are a great tool, IMO much better than rotating vane's or hot wires.

Obviously you should test the grilles in several different quadrants of the hood square to ensure the wall washing doesn't cause a huge disruption in the reading.

We're coming up on my favorite time of the year, things start to slow down a bit and I get to pull out the expensive tools to play with! I've been hounding the internet searching for a decent deal on a blower door kit. I passed up a great opportunity, $1700 for a full Retrotec 5100 kit with DM32 manometer, ahhgg... but I'm sure there will be others.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    It is a 1993 model with three hoods, 2x4, 1x4 and 2x2 feet. It looks like the hoods were replaced new in 2002 but then not used much. I've been following threads with you and Wayne and took the resi balancing class at NCI last winter. I posted the calibration sheet after reading y'alls comments on the small alnor and the big alnor and tsi... I guess if you do everything j u s t r i g h t then it will indeed repeat the factory cal. but I haven't seen a house that looks like the laboratory yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    small company I worked at in 1997, had 4 techs, each of us had an Alnor unit on the van. pretty easy to set up, and could prove air flow issues during service calls.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    small company I worked at in 1997, had 4 techs, each of us had an Alnor unit on the van. pretty easy to set up, and could prove air flow issues during service calls.
    That's impressive!
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    Why not just share one? As often as the hood leaves the truck it hardly seems worth it.
    I'm a tad stingy.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I recently started using a testo 420 hood. It is easy to get a baseline for my general use. I needed to test air flow to the 4th floor rooms before and after new dampers were installed on the first floor. I used an Alnor a few years ago, I measured 1198 cfm at the shop office on a Trane VS blower set to 1200. Been a fan ever since.

10. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Thermo View Post
    It is a 1993 model with three hoods, 2x4, 1x4 and 2x2 feet. It looks like the hoods were replaced new in 2002 but then not used much. I've been following threads with you and Wayne and took the resi balancing class at NCI last winter. I posted the calibration sheet after reading y'alls comments on the small alnor and the big alnor and tsi... I guess if you do everything j u s t r i g h t then it will indeed repeat the factory cal. but I haven't seen a house that looks like the laboratory yet.

That sheet you posted is the proof that you need to show that your hood has been calibrated and is accurate to use on certified balance jobs........Periodic trips back to the lab are required to keep the hood current......yours is not.....

If it is an old analog meter, you need to zero the meter while it's sitting upright with no air disturbance, and you'll need to zero the meter again if you are using it for horizontal readings......

Those different canopies are used for different types of diffusers......1x4 for slots.....2x2 for rectangular, and the 2x4 for larger diffusers......You can customize your hood mouth with cardboard and tape for odd balls...

Pay to have your hood calibrated, find someone to mentor you a little bit on how to balance properly, and have at......

12. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    How have you used the Retrotec MK2?

Post Likes
    I have not. Do you use one once in a while?

Post Likes
    No. No means to rent one. They're super expensive, but likely the best to measure output.