+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old R22 unit unusual pressures

Post Likes

Old R22 unit unusual pressures

Working on an old straight AC 2ton R22 unit. System has high head, low suction and constantly fluctuates. Arrived and found system running 65lo 325 hi. 15SC 45SH. 95F ambient. Delta T around 14-15F. I believe compressor shutting off on thermal was main reason for service call. Recovered some charge and now keeps head between 285-300 in 1 minute intervals. Suction fluctuates with head. No temp diff across drier. Piston was clean and clear. Replaced drier while system was open. Couldn’t pull a great vacuum as service valves leaked some refrigerant by. No money for virgin R22. Leaning on noncondesibles just can’t believe it’s a problem now after 25+ years of operation. Waiting on equipment to replace at owners request due to age anyways. Just curious what I could’ve missed during original service call. Thanks

Post Likes
    Probably non-condensables (air/nitrogen) in the system or mixed refrigerant, like someone topped off the unit with R422b (Nu22) or some other substitute. I know customer is saying no one has touched the unit in 25years, but all customers are usually liars or have mysterious short term memories.

When you were replacing the drier, could have recovered the refrigerant into a fresh recovery cylinder and checked the P/T to validate the condition of the refrigerant.

This is about all I can assist with in these open forums, are hands are tied by non-DIY rules, even in tech to tech arena.

If you are truly a technician, welcome to our forum, work on joining as a PRO member and we can really get down to the "nitty gritty".

3. Likes R600a, BALloyd liked this post.
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I read your profile. Get you post count up and we can help you in depth.

It's easy; just scroll through the open forums and answer some of the questions you find. Or just comment on them in at least modestly tech-speak.

What was the temperature difference between the condenser entering and leaving air?

Next time shut the system off and power just the condenser fan. Run it for fifteen minutes or so and then check the standing pressure against a P/T chart to get at least an idea what refrigerant(s) are in there. You could also recover all the refrigerant into an evacuated recovery cylinder. Give it 15 minutes to stabilize and then check the cylinder temperature against the cylinder pressure to chart the likely contents.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by nolift1 View Post
    Working on an old straight AC 2ton R22 unit. System has high head, low suction and constantly fluctuates. Arrived and found system running 65lo 325 hi. 15SC 45SH. 95F ambient. Delta T around 14-15F. I believe compressor shutting off on thermal was main reason for service call. Recovered some charge and now keeps head between 285-300 in 1 minute intervals. Suction fluctuates with head. No temp diff across drier. Piston was clean and clear. Replaced drier while system was open. Couldn’t pull a great vacuum as service valves leaked some refrigerant by. No money for virgin R22. Leaning on noncondesibles just can’t believe it’s a problem now after 25+ years of operation. Waiting on equipment to replace at owners request due to age anyways. Just curious what I could’ve missed during original service call. Thanks
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Poodle Head Mikey;26264787]I read your profile. Get you post count up and we can help you in depth.

It's easy; just scroll through the open forums and answer some of the questions you find. Or just comment on them in at least modestly tech-speak.

What was the temperature difference between the condenser entering and leaving air?

Next time shut the system off and power just the condenser fan. Run it for fifteen minutes or so and then check the standing pressure against a P/T chart to get at least an idea what refrigerant(s) are in there. You could also recover all the refrigerant into an evacuated recovery cylinder. Give it 15 minutes to stabilize and then check the cylinder temperature against the cylinder pressure to chart the likely contents.

Extremely high difference across condenser. 30-40 degrees

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    In the face of that evidence why didn't you clean the condenser coil or examine other possibilities of air flow / heat exchange across the condenser coil?

PHM
    -------

Me: [QUOTE=nolift1;26264789]
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    . . . What was the temperature difference between the condenser entering and leaving air? . . .
    You:
    Extremely high difference across condenser. 30-40 degrees
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I cleaned condenser but it had no dirt in it to start with. Fins are in good shape. Correct Fan blade and motor running correctly. Good airflow through coil out the top of condenser

Post Likes
    If that’s a double condenser it needs to be opened to clean it.
    Condenser fan amps ratting and running?

Post Likes
    Indoor ait temps?

Post Likes
    84 return 68 supply.

Post Likes
    Single stack condenser. RLA 1.7 running 1.4.
    Huge load in the space it’s a hair salon. That’s very busy. I’m sure when I left it would run all day but probably freeze at night. Vapor saturation at 95ambient and 300 head was around 39F

Post Likes
    Fluctuations = non condensibles...

No option other than to replace the refrigerant... or the system.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Note your ra and suction line temp is practically the same.

Post Likes
    Hair salon!
    Unit plugged with hair spray. Squirrel cage, evaporator. In the past unit overcharged to compensate.

Clean
    Clean
    Clean.

Every 2 - 3 months!

Post Likes
    Had removed the piston .. I would hope he looked at the Evap while standing there
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

It seems like everywhere I go the AC is broken

Post Likes
    Evap was clean as it could be. High superheat with low vsat didn’t look like an evaporator airflow problem to me

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Evap was clean as it could be. High superheat with low vsat didn’t look like an evaporator airflow problem to me
    So if you checked the Piston did you check the strainer before the Piston if one was present? I find those clogged frequently.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    No strainer. Had a piston style I’ve never seen before. Don’t remember the size but it was clean and I oiled it. Liquid line had a flare nut onto coil. Piston itself was huge compared to new styles. Never seen one like that

Post Likes
    No strainer. Had a piston style I’ve never seen before. Don’t remember the size but it was clean and I oiled it. Liquid line had a flare nut onto coil. Piston itself was huge compared to new styles. Never seen one like that
    Did the piston look like a short piece of brass tubing with threads on both ends???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    No. Resembled a newer piston just way bigger. Couldn’t find one online anywhere

Post Likes
    You can’t see the film hair spray leaves!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in