Thread: New AC frozen coil twice

Post Likes

New AC frozen coil twice

Got a new furnace and ac installed. One week later coil freezes up. They come out and diagnose it as a bad coil and then replace it. Another week later the new coil freezes up. Another return visit and this time it was said to be a default fan setting not playing nice with the variable speed blower and dehumidifier feature. Things seem to be working fine now but my question is could those two frozen coil incidents have done some damage to the furnace or ac unit? I paid a lot of money and now i’m worried these issues have potentially put some wear and tear on my brand new stuff. Should I ask the Hvac company that installed this stuff for anything (longer warranty maybe?) or should my equipment work just as long as it would have without these issues? Any advice is appreciated.

Post Likes
    Thinking compressor manufacturers put their products through rigorous environmental chamber testing far exceeding what your system went through before putting into the market. I have a friend that works for Carrier and he was telling me one test he was involved with on the compressor was monitoring the short cycling test they where doing on the compressor. Frequent On/Off for days on end, with probes collecting data then after testing was completed opening up the compressor to check windings etc.

That was just one test, another test he was involved with was running a system with approximately half the system refrigerant charge for days on end, then they overcharged the system with refrigerant and tested again days on end. All the while having probes hooked up everywhere on the system collecting data. Again opening up the compressor to check internals after testing was completed.

Thinking the original coil was not the issue if the 2nd coil iced up?

IMO I would not be to concerned, unless the issue returns again?

Doesn’t sound like they set up your system correctly the 1st time? Your duct work, return or supply side possibly could be a issue or unit is not sized correctly for your residence, who knows what caused the icing initially. Manufacturers want to see a coil mounted a particular way ( especially if the coil width is wider than the furnace width ) such as using transition piece of sheetmetal as an example only. Each piece ( outdoor unit, indoor coil, and furnace ) has a install guide that should be followed as closely as possible. Time will tell if they installed and set yours up correctly.

Did they follow a startup checklist something like this?

https://www.energystar.gov/sites/def...0_Rev%2011.pdf

Register each piece as manufacturers warranty decreases if system never gets registered. California or Quebec need not be registered to receive the manufacturers maximum warranty.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 08-14-2022 at 07:50 AM.

Post Likes
    A “Bad” coil doesn’t cause freeze ups, a leaking coil does!
    Second trip a “ default fan setting not playing nice with the variable speed blower”.

My BS meter it starting to peak.

Was static pressure ever tested? Super Heat, sub-cooling?
    Request a more senior tech.

4. Likes dan sw fl, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tim-lees View Post
    Got a new furnace and ac installed.

One week later coil freezes up.

They come out and diagnose it as a bad coil and then replace it. Another week later the new coil freezes up.

. Should I ask the Hvac company
    that installed this stuff For Anything
    (longer warranty maybe?) or should my equipment work just as long as it would have without these issues?

Any advice is appreciated.
    How many Standard Commissioning Reports were provided?

https://www.energystar.gov/sites/def...0_Rev%2011.pdf

----------
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Non

Post Likes
    I wouldn't worry about any damage to the system just because of two freeze ups.
    I would be more concerned as to why they changed the coil. The only logical reason for changing the coil on a new system would be because it was leaking gas. Simply checking the pressures would show if the system was low on gas.
    If the system was low on gas then that would have nothing at all to do with any fan setting. Something is not adding up but as long as everything remains OK, I wouldn't worry too much. They could have just made a poor initial diagnosis.
    If it was a gas issue that did not get resolved, it will probably show up again in the near future.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    They could have just made a poor initial diagnosis.
    The coil must be bad .... oh WHOOPS ... this little fan speed switch just needs adjusting
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

9. Likes Sixty4fairlane liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    The coil must be bad .... oh WHOOPS ... this little fan speed switch just needs adjusting
    I don't need no stinkin gauges or leak detector because it's always a bad coil
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

11. Likes Snapperhead liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Maybe, just a guess, coil itself was not bad but the TXV was and they just replaced the coil(including txv) instead of just txv.

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

13. Likes R600a, Snapperhead liked this post.