Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prep area for compressor

Post Likes

Prep area for compressor

My existing condenser is siting in pile of dirt. Gravel was removed and soil was added around condenser for some tomato plans. This means that every maintenance couple buckets of dirt are removed from inside condenser. What to put under Diversitech HP3636-8 ? I was thinking about getting 36 x 36 concrete pad and putting Diversitech HP3636-8 When hvac company comes over to replace my system

Post Likes
    Just have the HVAC company bring out a pad. They also make them out of plastic.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I'm feelin' a little peculiar.

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Would it just sink ? How much prep work you guys do as installers ?

Post Likes
    If you got a quote for a new AC system install it should mean someone came to your home to look over what you have now. An outdoor condensing unit sitting on dirt and surrounded with tomato plants should have prompted a nice long conversation with you about the critical need for the outdoor unit to have a lot of unobstructed area around it for air flow and the need to keep the unit out of the dirt to ensure it's longevity.

Check the quote for the new unit, I'm guessing they would have noted they plan on installing a new condenser pad if one was not present. If not............ well, low bid is not always the smart way to go.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My preferred method is mounting on brackets a couple feet off the ground.
    Tends to keep the condenser coil cleaner.

Post Likes
    A typical prefab pad is 3" high.
    You can always put 8" concrete blocks underneath it if you want it higher.
    Any higher than that, just have a platform built out of treated lumber
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    If I had my way I would put down a few inches of big gravel under a plastic pad and put 5" to 8" adjustable legs under the condenser.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

10. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    My preferred method is mounting on brackets a couple feet off the ground.
    Tends to keep the condenser coil cleaner.
    Funny, I hate with an absolute passion units mounted like that. 10 out of 10 times I will remove the brackets and install a pad and 3” feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes R600a, BNME8EZ liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Funny, I hate with an absolute passion units mounted like that. 10 out of 10 times I will remove the brackets and install a pad and 3” feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah most modern condensers are already so tall I almost need a stepladder to clean the coils.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    If I had my way I would put down a few inches of big gravel under a plastic pad and put 5" to 8" adjustable legs under the condenser.
    Agreed.

To the original poster.

The best way, would be to have them remove the condenser, pour a concrete pad, put a plastic slab on top.

Price wise, it sucks

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well so far all the quotes I got so far. The came out look at ac 2.5Ton said to get 3ton I agree one room gets hotter with lots of sun. They look and measured duck work and got model of existing furnace and recommend getting 90000 btu. I want to installer to use Diversitech HP3636-8 Is ok to have installer set it on top of pad?

Post Likes
    So you wanna go from 2 1/2 to 3 tons, what are they going to do to increase the duct size to accommodate the added airflow that’s needed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    So you wanna go from 2 1/2 to 3 tons, what are they going to do to increase the duct size to accommodate the added airflow that’s needed?
    All the quotes I received are for 3ton condenser includes new furnace in quotes for 13 to 16 k I did not ask for 3 ton it was put in quotes. I live in Denver mile high city elevation has impact on air

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Post Likes
    Wow! The cost to replace all the old 2.5 ton ductwork with new 3.0 ton ductwork should have the quoted price so high that adding the correct mounting for the outdoor unit would make almost no difference in the overall job cost.

What part of the world do you live in that a 90,000 BTU furnace is required?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by tritron View Post
    Well so far all the quotes I got so far. The came out look at ac 2.5Ton said to get 3ton I agree one room gets hotter with lots of sun. They look and measured duck work and got model of existing furnace and recommend getting 90000 btu. I want to installer to use Diversitech HP3636-8 Is ok to have installer set it on top of pad?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is this straight cooling or a heat pump? I like to see heat pumps with a rocked area around them for drainage then a pad on top of that which also keeps plants away from the unit. That could be done for straight cooling, the necessity for winter drainage isn't there.

I also like to see at least a foot to 18" away from the house for air flow into the unit, you don't get that with a bracket.

22. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Post Likes
    I mount most of them on the roof now. They all drain great. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Is this straight cooling or a heat pump? I like to see heat pumps with a rocked area around them for drainage then a pad on top of that which also keeps plants away from the unit. That could be done for straight cooling, the necessity for winter drainage isn't there.

I also like to see at least a foot to 18" away from the house for air flow into the unit, you don't get that with a bracket.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Colorado the output is 72000 btu for 80 % efficient furnance 1500 + 250 sqft basement 90s house. I want to get trane/ american standard heat pump. I am at 5817 ft of elevation so I guess I need to compensate 20% from sea level. Currently the coil furnance is 17" wide but air duct is 21" wide So I want to get 21" wide furnace and coil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I mount most of them on the roof now. They all drain great. <g>

PHM
    ------
    No way dude.

If I install something I want it service friendly. I don’t consider most roofs in that category.

Post Likes
    No way dude.

If I install something I want it service friendly. I don’t consider most roofs in that category.
    Yeah most roofs in my area are 12 12 pitch.

Post Likes
    But roof mount excludes floods, crackheads, string trimmers, ham-handed landscapers, dryer vents, and women drivers. Which are every day - service is only once a year. <g>

PHM
    -------

No way dude.

PHM
    --------

28. Likes R600a, BBeerme liked this post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast