Thread: New condenser insttalled, but not cooling. Help please!

Post Likes

Confused New condenser insttalled, but not cooling. Help please!

I have a Carrier evap. coil model CK3BYA048021AAAA (sticker is very tiny and difficult to read, so not 100% sure on those numbers). 4 ton. Label says it operates on both R22 and R410a. Ran it 20 years with R22 and 4 ton condenser, no problem. Compressor just wore out so I had contractor install a 3.5 ton Rheem condenser using R410. He flushed the lines with cleaner, then nitrogen. No leaks. Added about 5 lbs. refrigerant, all pressures looked good, so he packed up and left. I thought job was done, but a couple hours later it seemed to no cool any more. Condenser fan runs, and compressor seems to kick on. Contractor returned and installed new contactor, didn't help. The suction line is NOT getting cold. Could there be lack of freon? The evap coli does not have a txv valve, but instead maybe uses an orifice. Another HVAC contractor told me when changing from a 4 ton to 3.5 ton condenser, the orifice should have been changed to a 0.74, but the installing contractor didn't think that was necessary, that it should work fine with the new condenser.

Would appreciate any ideas on what's causing this lack of cooling!

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    With a 20 year old evaporator good chance it leaks.

Post Likes
    R410a is much higher pressure than R22, while that coil was originally dual rated it's now 20 years old and the higher pressure is going to stress any existing leaks or weak spots. You should have replaced the evaporator with the unit. Your installer may also have a leak in one of his braze joints, if enough refrigerant leaks out the AC will turn off on low pressure.

Good luck with that.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Statements made by me are strictly my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of my employer. I am not authorized to make any official statements on behalf of my employer.
    Any technical advice offered by me is for educational purposes only, all HVAC related repairs should only be attempted by qualified personnel.

Post Likes
    Maybe there is a screen before the orifice that’s getting plugged, did the Tech. use nitrogen while brazing in the lineset at the outdoor unit and drier. Thinking have him install a field install TXV to eliminate guessing at correct size orifice?

How did he do the final field refrigerant charge to a certain superheat number. Is the indoor coil squeaky clean?

Did you get a labor warranty as he only changed one section? if so it’s on his dime to correct things no? as you mention Installing Contractor

“but the installing contractor didn't think that was necessary”

What reputable Contractor would only install a outdoor unit, leave a piston in there that’s rated for R22 ( matched to your old outdoor unit? ) replace a perfectly good brand new contactor to no effect, add 5 lb of refrigerant when the weight method shows otherwise?

Make sure to register the outdoor unit, hopefully Carrier will give you the 10/10 compressor and parts and coil manufacturers warranty due to only changing one section and not both at the same time with AHRI matched systems.

Piston sizes come in .074 not .74 as examples.

The outdoor unit comes precharged with enough refrigerant for a matching indoor coil and up to a certain length of correctly sized lineset, anything after that you add a certain amount of refrigerant per foot of liquid line for a somewhat close weight method. If he added 5 lbs then your lineset is around 145’ ( including the factory lineset added in ) long using weight method “give or take”, and I do mean give or take. Guessing your lineset is not anywhere as long as that.

The data plate on the outdoor will tell you the refrigerant charge that’s in the outdoor unit. What’s the model number of the outdoor unit? Is this a Heat Pump?

The existing coil does say it’s rated for R410A with listed units.

What is your temperature split between a supply registers and a return closest to the indoor coil using a accurate thermometer ( not a IR Gun )

Did he change blower speeds from original setting?
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 08-13-2022 at 08:11 AM.

5. Dislikes ksefan disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds like Craigslist contractor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Was this a condenser you bought yourself and hired someone to install?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    The rating for the coil means it is CAPABLE of using either refrigerant. The orifice or TXV on the coil must be matched to the refrigerant.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Compressors dont Where Out. What was the cause of the failure?