Thread: Replace suction core inside evap coil

Post Likes

Replace suction core inside evap coil

On the first visit the tech found the 3 ton home heat pump unit low on refrigerant. He added refrigerant and dye detector. Came back in two weeks and charged $ plus two lbs of refrigerant and made the following diagnosis. "Replace suction core inside evap coil". I don't seem to be able to find that part description on line. The leak test did show green on the schrader valve.
    Last edited by Special-K; 08-12-2022 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Removed Pricing

Post Likes
    The larger line of the indoor coil may have a Schrader stub with a cap on it ( if it’s not being used ) and they changed the core assembly? If that’s where an actual leak came from. Think bicycle tire or car tire, something similar to that. If you can’t find it ask them where exactly is it located.

What brand coil do you have as if a Goodman, they have one on the suction/vapor line typically.

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hbv2020 View Post
    Came back in two weeks and charged xxx plus two lbs of refrigerant and made the following diagnosis. "Replace suction core inside evap coil". I don't seem to be able to find that part description on line.
    Probably won't find that part online, that part is only listed in the "Todays Sales Tech Manual".
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Pricing not allowed per site rules

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    They could probably just put a decent cap on it. Anytime I install a Goodman coil I removed the cheap plastic cap that comes on the Schrader port on the suction line inside the evaporator compartment and put a little bit of refrigeration grade assembly lubricant on the seal in my nice brass cap and put it on there so I don't have to worry about leaks.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

7. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hbv2020 View Post
    On the first visit the tech found the 3 ton home heat pump unit low on refrigerant. He added refrigerant and dye detector. Came back in two weeks and charged $ plus two lbs of refrigerant and made the following diagnosis. "Replace suction core inside evap coil". I don't seem to be able to find that part description on line. The leak test did show green on the schrader valve.
    Call them back and ask for a better description!

Post Likes
    How I read it, is that during the first visit he diagnosed the system low on charge and added refrigerant and dye to the system.

On the follow-up visit he located the leak (signs of dye) at the suction schrader valve, I assume that he charged you to replace the schrader valve's leaky core.

Some of these indoor coils have a suction schrader valve where a TXV's equalization line may attach if a field TXV was to be installed. I am imagining that your system probably does not use a TXV, but a piston restrictive device instead, leaving that schrader valve port open and that was what was leaking from its core?

This is my educated translation from the what the OP is trying to say.

As for part description, may want to contact your technician and have him explain a bit more clearly the service he performed.

10. Likes R600a, Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds legitimate to me

12. Likes R600a liked this post.