Thread: Recommended thermostat for new Carrier system

Post Likes

Recommended thermostat for new Carrier system

St. Louis area, walkout ranch, 2400 sq ft main floor, 1700 sq ft basement. Replacing original HVAC system installed when home was built 22 years ago (11.8 SEER AC, 80 AFUE furnace, 2 zones - up & downstairs). Looking at Carrier Performance equipment - 24ACB7 AC and 59TP6 furnace. Which thermostat will allow me to take fullest advantage of dehumidification offered by this system? Installer listed 2 x Honeywell TP6, I know these are 2 heat 2 cool. A proprietary thermostat like the Carrier Edge Thermidostat will allow me to specifically monitor and control humidity. Would the Edge require a particular zoning board? Am I over-thinking this? I just want to take advantage of the AC/furnace combo's ability to dehumidify, for maximum comfort. Thanks for your time and professional advice.

Post Likes
    Your installer can recommend the necessary thermostat for the system they are designing. Carrier Edge is a great stat. What zoning system is in place?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    I don't know, I haven't read the numbers on the existing board. I'm sure it was a very simple board for a one stage compressor, one burner furnace, one speed blower. I'll ask him what zoning board he'd need to install to work w/ the Edge and price differentials vs other board and TP6. Again, I'd like to take full advantage of two-stage compressor and the VS blower on the furnace.

Post Likes
    The Honeywell T6 won't be able to control dehumidify on demand. The Edge would, but with that particular furnace, there is nothing it would get you that a high end thermostat from another company wouldn't. We haven't been installing the Edge as much these days since everyone seems to want wi-fi access. Ecobee is usually our top choice (which Carrier actually sells now, in lieu of their previous in-house wifi thermostat they discontinued).

Now, in your case you will need 7 wires between the HVAC unit and thermostat to run all the stages, 8 wires if you want to take advantage of the "dehumidify on demand" feature. If you don't have that many in your wall, instead of running new wire it might be easier to do a 2 piece thermostat, with a module installed by the equipment, which then only needs 2-4 wires to the actual wall thermostat. The Edge can do this, our usual choice in this situation is the Honeywell VisionPro or Prestige with EIM and Redlink (which have cloud access).

Post Likes
    Thank you!!!