Thread: ductless mini split position question

Post Likes

ductless mini split position question

I am looking into having a ductless mini put in my garage office. The room is roughly 12.5 by 21, 12ft ceiling. All doors, walls, windows are properly insulated. I have a work bench on one end and my daily work desk on the other end. Based on research i think a 1 ton would be best(maryland climate). i know stratification may occur because of ceiling height. if that becomes an issue, i can install corner fans up high for circulation.

i only trust two of the walls for mounting, two are standard pole building and i feel like it would be to much to reinforce the wall to safely mount it. plus space is an issue on those two and there ribbed, not flat.

The other two are standard stick built(16 on center, 2*4). the short 12.5' wall(with the bench) is flat so height can be anything. the long 21' wall has a bulk head from 8' to about 8'-8", so i will likely need to mount it higher then 8'-8".

Here's the question.

For better air distribution(performance). Would it be better to mount the unit above the bench(centered) with the idea of the air being thrown across the room(to where i sit) and dropping down? Or would it be better on the long wall(centered) above the bulkhead(its only 12" deep), with the idea that the air shoots across the short distance of the room to the opposite wall and fills from the center? Or am i over thinking as normal, and the difference is negligible.

Post Likes
    You’re probably over-thinking it; however, the ideal spot in a rectangular room is in the corner on the short wall, blowing parallel to the long wall. This creates a circular air movement around the room for more even distribution.

Again, that’s the ideal placement, but not essential.

Post Likes
    Ideally it's better to put it on the short wall and blow the length of the space instead of the other way around, and I would mount it at normal 8' ceiling height if that's an option. Too high up and you can get some overcooling and underheating (if that's a word) issues because mini splits measure space temperature at the head.

Edit: Bob beat me to it

Post Likes
    Thank you guys.

That was my gut feeling but some times I start to over think it. I also like the offset idea. That had not occurred to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobboan View Post
    You’re probably over-thinking it; however, the ideal spot in a rectangular room is in the corner on the short wall, blowing parallel to the long wall. This creates a circular air movement around the room for more even distribution.

Again, that’s the ideal placement, but not essential.

I agree. Mitsubishi (my ductless of choice) is rated for 33' of throw so this location should be fine.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!