Thread: Upgraded to Ecobee to heating only furnace system, but It's not powering on...

Post Likes

Upgraded to Ecobee to heating only furnace system, but It's not powering on...

I have a heating only furnace (baseboard heating) with R and W wires at the thermostat. I ran a new bundle of wire from the thermostat to the furnace just to get a C wire as required by the Ecobee. To keep things streamlined, I use the blue wire for the Common. Connected the Common wire from the C on the thermostat base to the C on the furnace C connector.

Some things I noticed and troubleshooted in the process:
    -Old thermostat had Red wire hooked up to R, and White wire hooked up to W.
    -On thermostat side, voltage between R and C is 13.5v. I tested the transformer on the furnace side and getting 24v
    -Tried putting the red Rh wire into Rc instead, didn't change anything
    -On the Furnace side of things, You'll notice the brown bundle of cables where only the Blue wire is connected to C (my new run), and a white bundle with only white and red cables (I think this goes back to thermostat? It seems the white wire is connected to R, and the Red wire is connected to G

At some point the old white/red wires may birds-nest into a different strand because the bundle is old cloth wire wrap on thermostat side, but white wrap on furnace side. No idea where this occurs but possibly in ceiling somewhere.

Regardless the bottom line is my new thermostat isn't powering on. Any troubleshooting steps I can take?

If I just decided to only use the new bundle I ran and disconnect old wiring, where should I connect the R and W wires on the furnace side; To the R and W screws in the picture?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Likes
    Sorry, we can’t help you with DIY projects here.
    Is this a furnace or a boiler? If it’s a furnace it looks like it has some age to it with a transformer like that. Make sure and verify the heat exchanger is ok.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Ask Our Pros-Owner Assistance - NO DIY advice will be given.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Sorry, we cant help you with DIY projects here.
    Is this a furnace or a boiler? If its a furnace it looks like it has some age to it with a transformer like that. Make sure and verify the heat exchanger is ok.
    Actually it is a boiler. Thanks, I'll look into the transformer itself. Darn, ok thread can be closed. Appreciate it.

Post Likes
    It is not about color, but where the wires start and stop.

Make sure the wire at the thermostat connects to the same letter designation on the unit.

Your photos are very close up, but from what I see it does NOT look wired correctly.
    It is possible you have let out the magic smoke.
    It may be time to say this is outside your abilities and call in a pro.

Also, with a boiler, most of the features of a "smart" thermostat are a waist of money.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ