+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor running but not pumping

Post Likes

Compressor running but not pumping

I went to a packaged unit where the customer said it was cooling well and suddenly it stopped. When I got there, as soon as it started the condenser fan wasn't running and I was glad because I didn't want anything strange on a side job I reluctantly took at 8PM at after starting early and ending late at work on another 100+ day (with my laundry hamper full at home, stomach empty, and work the next day). I pushed it and it ran. The capacitor was completely dead, I changed it and the motor started up on its own for the time being. I was itching to get out of there and the guy wanted to call his wife downstairs to confirm it was cooling with a thermometer gun. I could hear the compressor on and he said someone added gas last week and it's been been working fine, so when he told me she said it's not cooling I thought she was checking the return or something. I'd come back up with only my impact, so I went back down and checked inside. Sure enough, no cooling. Went and got my gauges and bag, back to the roof, found completely equalized pressures as the compressor was running. Confirmed my gauges were working and closed, same. Checked the amp draw and it was close to RLA. I've seen bad valves pressures but not this. Am I missing something? I forgot to check for pressure switches, and if it suddenly stopped cooling that day and he turned it off, even if he tried it a couple more times, I would think the compressor would turn off on overload and not get damaged. I asked my coworker and he said "like you said, it's not pumping."

Post Likes
    if you can hear compressor running , and your meter confirms amps , and pressures are equal , Id say the pump attached to the motor is done for
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

It seems like everywhere I go the AC is broken

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSFVLA View Post
    I went to a packaged unit where the customer said it was cooling well and suddenly it stopped. When I got there, as soon as it started the condenser fan wasn't running and I was glad because I didn't want anything strange on a side job I reluctantly took at 8PM at after starting early and ending late at work on another 100+ day (with my laundry hamper full at home, stomach empty, and work the next day). I pushed it and it ran. The capacitor was completely dead, I changed it and the motor started up on its own for the time being. I was itching to get out of there and the guy wanted to call his wife downstairs to confirm it was cooling with a thermometer gun. I could hear the compressor on and he said someone added gas last week and it's been been working fine, so when he told me she said it's not cooling I thought she was checking the return or something. I'd come back up with only my impact, so I went back down and checked inside. Sure enough, no cooling. Went and got my gauges and bag, back to the roof, found completely equalized pressures as the compressor was running. Confirmed my gauges were working and closed, same. Checked the amp draw and it was close to RLA. I've seen bad valves pressures but not this. Am I missing something? I forgot to check for pressure switches, and if it suddenly stopped cooling that day and he turned it off, even if he tried it a couple more times, I would think the compressor would turn off on overload and not get damaged. I asked my coworker and he said "like you said, it's not pumping."
    Talk to your boss about the findings, see what he says!

4. Likes Snapperhead liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just happened to have a run cap?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    if you can hear compressor running , and your meter confirms amps , and pressures are equal , Id say the pump attached to the motor is done for
    There is no way you would be pulling close to RLA amps with a bad compressor that is not pumping...ie no work.

Something doesn't add up....

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

7. Likes VTP99, BNME8EZ liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    There is no way you would be pulling close to RLA amps with a bad compressor that is not pumping...ie no work.

Something doesn't add up....

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Weak compressor with a bad cap possibly.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I had to go to the van 10 minutes away and get it. Replaced stock the next day of course.

Post Likes
    I did and he said compressor. I believe him but he's not infallible, I'm still surprised by the pressures and current. It's a bigger job than I can do till I have a license, so it's probably going to the company.

Post Likes
    Plugged F/D?
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Plugged F/D?
    That would still be low amp!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Plugged F/D?
    Pressures completely equalized

Post Likes
    Scroll compressor ?

Post Likes
    What were those press? What was indoor/outdoor air temps?

Post Likes
    No, Trane big orange one (American Standard)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    What were those press? What was indoor/outdoor air temps?
    160/160

Indoor 85 outdoor about 85-90 (yes, at night)

Post Likes
    160/160

Indoor 85 outdoor about 85-90 (yes, at night)
    Although under the circumstances I didn't think to measure an exact outdoor temp

Post Likes
    No, Trane big orange one (American Standard)
    So the Trane Climatuff™ reciprocating or scroll ?

Post Likes
    Reciprocating. AL37A-GG1-A

Post Likes
    Compressor has a built-in IPR ( Internal Pressure Relief ) valve.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Compressor has a built-in IPR ( Internal Pressure Relief ) valve.
    I looked into that read that it would route discharge to trip the overload, according to what I saw, but the compressor was running.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in