Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Blower

Post Likes

Turbo Blower

Hey guys,

My coil and compressor are clean, filters new and delta temps at vents greater than 20 but my home still not cool enough due to low airflow.
    My blower is on high with the black wire.

Can I fit a new blower fan wheel that produces more cfm than the one I have below? Or do I need a more powerful motor?
    Name:  IMG_2247.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  1.11 MB

Post Likes
    Is your duct work sized properly?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I hope so, house is only 9 years old. Anyway unable to modify as its built into walls etc.

Post Likes
    Has it been like this for 9 years? Did something change with the equipment? Is the house new to you?

Post Likes
    I just bought the house so assume its probably been like this forever. No equipment changes.

Post Likes
    If the ductwork isn't sized or run properly, nothing you can do will make any significant change. You can only push so much air thru duct work.

8. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A leaf blower manages to blow a lot through a small tube!

To increase cfm are there different squirrel wheels with differing blade angles or is it normally increased with motor rpm?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toofreakinghot View Post

To increase cfm are there different squirrel wheels with differing blade angles or is it normally increased with motor rpm?
    Not apples to oranges there.

House built 9 years ago, chances are your ducts are not designed or installed well.

What if, there is a refrigeration issue at play? Something that a service tech could Id and remedy?
    What if a lower speed fan made the air colder and a high speed fan made the air warmer?
    Hmm some things to consider here.

2 story home with furnace and ac in basement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes 2 story with furnace in basement.

With the vents at 55 degrees I'd suspect it can handle a little more flow

Post Likes

A leaf blower uses a different type of fan. A leaf blower is blowing thru 2ft of "duct" with zero restriction. A squirrel cage is a squirrel cage. The entire set up will only move so much air. If the duct is sized or run improperly, you're SOL.
    If you attempt to increase or decrease airflow across your coil, how do you think it would affect the heating and cooling capacity? Heat transfer?
    Why not call someone experienced out to tell you what's wrong rather than just "trying to figure it out"

Post Likes
    Unfortunately not much help coming from local technicians.
    I quite simply need more airflow and am not about to tear my house down to install bigger ducting. I know that a more powerful source will force air through the current ducting. Jet engines, car superchargers, turbochargers all force far more air through smaller ducting.

Post Likes
    What are your return air and supply temperatures? What temperature is the thermostat set to? Are all the return and supply vents fully open and not blocked?

Post Likes
    Return 75, supply 50. Thermostat set to 70.
    All vents open, sometimes close one bedroom to increase flow in others

Post Likes
    Increasing CFM will likely raise discharge air temperature, and cause worse performance then you have now. Plus it will decrease the unit’s ability to dehumidify.
    This is on top of being obnoxiously loud and causing a drafty feeling.
    Too much airflow is not a good thing.
    What is “not cool enough”? Is the unit unable to meet set point? What is the set point? Is it more an issue of uneven cooling between floors?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

17. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It takes hours just to cool 5 degrees and may not even reach 70 all day.
    Humidity, noise and drafts are not an issue.

If I install a higher rpm blower I could always use a slower speed wire right?

Post Likes
    Couple things.

Are you using a setback on your thermostat when your not home. If so stop. Its the middle of summer and your close to design conditions as is and now you want your unit to go through a hot pull down. Not gonna happen. Set it at 70 and leave it for 4 days and report back.

2. Youre screwed when it comes to upstairs comfort. Its never gonna happen no matter how big a blower you install. Tell you what, Ill get you the email of a client that just paid 15k to another company that put a bigger blower and bigger everything on and now the issue is worse.

3. Relate your duct and blower to your heart and veins. No matter how big and bad and strong your heart is, if you got ity bity tiny veins in your legs your feet are gonna have poor circulation. You duct work just aint correct

4. Your duct work works off pressure. Magically find a bigger motor to move more air and all your going to do is create more pressure in that duct. To the point where the blower wont be able to move anything more because it is not strong enough to work against that pressure.

5. Expect the motor to die in 2-4 years. Had a job the duct pressure was 1.3 and its supposed to be .5. After 4 motors in 8 years they finally caught on and had it fixed properly.

6. Energy bills will go up as that bigger stronger motor is trying to cram 20lbs into a 5 lb sack.

7. If you want true comfort upstairs you need a new unit that only does the second floor. Personally I think it should be against the law to have a 2 story and basement with only 1 unit in the basement.

It will never work in todays constraints. Let me say it again for the ones in the back. Your current setup, will never deliver true comfort on all 3 floors. Blame architects and Americas Walmart mentality.

Rant over peace out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes toofreakinghot, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It takes hours just to cool 5 degrees and may not even reach 70 all day.
    Humidity, noise and drafts are not an issue.

If I install a higher rpm blower I could always use a slower speed wire right?
    How are you going to put a higher RPM blower with a slower speed? That makes no sense.
    How high of a setback are you using? Will the unit maintain 70?

Post Likes
    I would like to put a higher rpm motor on, but if required could dial it down if needed using say the red wire..

The ducting in this house is bigger than a 747 pressurization system that has to pressurize an aluminum tube with 300 passengers. There is no way on earth this cannot take more flow. The only limiting factor being the fan to produce it.
    If the ducts were bulging like balloons I could understand but I would need a jet engine for that!

Post Likes
    I would like to put a higher rpm motor on, but if required could dial it down if needed using say the red wire..

The ducting in this house is bigger than a 747 pressurization system that has to pressurize an aluminum tube with 300 passengers. There is no way on earth this cannot take more flow. The only limiting factor being the fan to produce it.
    If the ducts were bulging like balloons I could understand but I would need a jet engine for that!
    What is your current static pressure readings?
    Your comparisons aren’t valid in this case.

Post Likes
    If the system is designed to cool the house to 75 when it is 100 outside, it might not ever get to 70. Maybe there is other issues like a loose piece of duct insulation reducing airflow or a weak capacitor. It might not be a bad idea to have the system looked over by a professional.

25. Likes toofreakinghot liked this post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast