Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbo Blower

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toofreakinghot View Post
    So the design is all wrong from the start? Why on earth would anyone want something that could only maintain a temp. How can one ensure that a system is sufficient to reduce as well as maintain? Replace the whole system?
    Clearly you are not wanting to listen to what anyone has to say, but rather debate how our industry is wrong.

What profession are you in again?

Why does a car have cruise control if it only maintains the set point? I can do that with my foot!

Design conditions are based on the 98%. Historically speaking in dayton 98% of the year is at or below 89*. 1% it’s 90 and 1% above 90. So you want a system that is designed for 95* and do a hot pull down…… so 99.99% of the summer your system is wrong…… that’s what you want? With that comes IAQ problems as well. And guess what, your home will still be uncomfortable 98% of the year. Not because the thermostat temperature but rather your massive humidity problem you will have.

So have you done the math and found how much you are actually saving from your setback. Like actually punched the numbers from your electric data logger into a calculator to find the savings. Can you post them for informational purposes? I genuinely would like to see it.

Second, your system you claim you want to do a hot pull down in above normal conditions needs bigger ductwork to handle all the extra air you need to move. General rule of thumb is 400cfm/ton of ac. So you have a 3 ton now you need 1200 cfm. You claim to want a 5 ton now you need 2000 cfm. Just think a cfm is a basketball. 2000 basketballs need to move through the duct every minute…..

How much extra cost is now added to the home construction to increase all the ductwork to handle 5 tons of cooling?

Where are you located. I’ll come do this blower conversion for you. I’ll just need consent to do before during and after videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Its not your industry is wrong, after all commercial properties don't seem to suffer nearly as much. It is this limited canned answer thinking that most can only offer.

The claim that the duct cannot take an increase in cfm is nonsense. A simple increase in velocity will suffice. An excuse of noise and drafts is unacceptable. The duct is physically cable of moving huge amounts of air.

Take a step back and see what's suggested here.. The most expensive home system is not designed and cannot cope to cool a hot home quickly whereby a simple cheap hotel window unit cools the room in 15 mins, your metal vehicle cools rapidly after baking in the sun come on!

What would you say if your plumber said your hot water at home has a temp limit sub standard to everywhere else?

Post Likes
    You clearly know more about this than all of us here.

I have no idea why you are here asking questions that you know the answers to....

Its not your industry is wrong, after all commercial properties don't seem to suffer nearly as much. It is this limited canned answer thinking that most can only offer.

The claim that the duct cannot take an increase in cfm is nonsense. A simple increase in velocity will suffice. An excuse of noise and drafts is unacceptable. The duct is physically cable of moving huge amounts of air.

Take a step back and see what's suggested here.. The most expensive home system is not designed and cannot cope to cool a hot home quickly whereby a simple cheap hotel window unit cools the room in 15 mins, your metal vehicle cools rapidly after baking in the sun come on!

What would you say if your plumber said your hot water at home has a temp limit sub standard to everywhere else?
    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. Likes 2sac, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    You clearly know more about this than all of us here.

I have no idea why you are here asking questions that you know the answers to....
    That I do not. Just simply trying to find a solution to what seems a very common problem.
    A quick google search of HVAC booster fan shows there are many seeking a solution to what is not being addressed.

If we didn't strive to improve we'd still be in the stone ages!

Post Likes
    That I do not. Just simply trying to find a solution to what seems a very common problem.
    A quick google search of HVAC booster fan shows there are many seeking a solution to what is not being addressed.

If we didn't strive to improve we'd still be in the stone ages!
    I gave you the correct answer. 2 systems. One upstairs and one down.

But America has a Walmart mentality. Buy the cheapest and throw it out in 4 years then buy another cheap one. So builders build what Americans want.

Builders use the cheapest HVAC guy in town and you get what you pay for.

Yes the ductwork will handle it. Yes it will be noisy. The motor on the other hand is not built do handle that much back pressure and it will die an early death.

Residential and commercial are not the same so let’s keep those two separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I gave you the correct answer. 2 systems. One upstairs and one down.

But America has a Walmart mentality. Buy the cheapest and throw it out in 4 years then buy another cheap one. So builders build what Americans want.

Builders use the cheapest HVAC guy in town and you get what you pay for.

Yes the ductwork will handle it. Yes it will be noisy. The motor on the other hand is not built do handle that much back pressure and it will die an early death.

Residential and commercial are not the same so let’s keep those two separate.
    You are right! And its even worse, you throw it away and have to upgrade rather than replace now.

Is there a cost effective way to add another system for the upstairs utilizing the existing duct work?

Post Likes

Post Likes

Unacceptable.

I dont let people who pay me, talk to me that way.

Your out of your mind.

11. Likes kdean1, HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Unacceptable.

Your out of your mind.
    Wasn't directed at you personally but apologies if you were offended by our discussion of ducting.

Post Likes
    Wasn't directed at you personally but apologies if you were offended by our discussion of ducting.
    My point is to keep in mind that you are talking to a group of individuals that have decades of experience in the hvac industry, and generally are considered high quality professionals.
    Most in our industry stop at 5.

We offer our time to help people with issues.

You could use a high static rated blower, with a different wheel.
    Alot of research and testing would be involved, along with figuring out how to deal with the lack of latent removal from the evaporator due to excessive airflow.

Coil blow off would be another issue.

When we talk about how much a duct can handle, we mean in a loose sense, not in a physical sense.
    You could run high static, such as 2.0, change the grills to high static diffusers, so and and so forth.

These systems tend to need to be airtight.
    One reason m, as mentioned is noise.
    Not airflow noise, but duct leakage noise.
    Air leaking from a seam at a high static sounds like a dog whistle.

14. Likes toofreakinghot liked this post.
    Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Unacceptable.

Your out of your mind.
    Yes it is nonsense

Now go and redo the industry.

Post Likes
    Just some food for thought.

You talked about in office’s that there is not an issue with temp humidity and air flow. This is true but it is also often very different equipment.

In a home you have a cooling unit and some duct that has to do 2 things cool the space and move enough air for the area being cooled.

In commercial systems there are all sorts of options so the equipment can handle the ever changing load and still keep humidity down while bringing in fresh air in measured amounts. Because of this the duct system is very different along with most of the components.

What you are talking about doing would be similar to putting a Formula 1 engine in a model T pickup. They just aren’t compatible nor should they be as they are very different spaces in use and functionalities.

The problem is not what is available in a residential system. The problem is the original installation was subpar and it is not practical to fix it from a cost standpoint.

There may be some things that can be done to help the situation but is the juice going to be worth the squeeze. That is always the bottom line and how you got to this point to being with.

17. Likes toofreakinghot liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Jet engines, car superchargers, turbochargers all force far more air through smaller ducting.
    And they do it with massive amounts of power and noise. The same happens with house ducting. There are limits to what a squirrel cage fan can accomplish. Eventually, and I've seen this happen, the cage will self destruct from over-speed, over-torque, and long term stress abuse.

Fix the ducting, don't band-aid it.
    Nest is POO!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in