Thread: Humming from Trane Air Handler

Post Likes

Question Humming from Trane Air Handler

I need to know if what I'm hearing is normal.

We just replaced our 18-year-old system with a new Trane XR14 system with TEM6 air handler, which is installed on its side in our attic.

I noticed within a day a faint, high-pitched hum when I was near the air intake (below the air handler). It was not consistent. This is a variable speed air handler (something we've never had), and the hum seemed to come only as the air handler was changing speeds or at certain speeds.
    I had the installer come back out and the technician spent hours up there tinkering.
    Among the things he told me:

• The fan wasn't properly secured to the motor by the Trane factory and was wobbling a little. He spent some time adjusting that.
    • They had failed to adjust the dip switches to account for the fact that the air handler is on it's side. It was spinning too fast and pulling water from the system onto the insulation, and dripping out into the pan below. He changed the dip switches to ensure the fan didn't crank up to max speed.

That's annoying, of course. But he didn't try to hide the mistake, and stayed a long time to make sure that things were running smoothly and that water wasn't being pulled into the fan or dripping anymore.

That was a week ago.
    Things improved. The humming has subsided...
    ...but it has not gone away completely. It's much more faint, but I occasionally hear it when I'm near the area below the air handler.

Is this normal for a Trane variable speed air handler, to hear a faint hum as it revs up and down? If so, then I imagine I'll stop noticing it. If not, then is this a bad unit? What should I do?

Many thanks.

Post Likes
    I HIGHLY doubt anything is wrong. The newer units can move air differently than old units. Therefore, the sound is different. In time you probably won’t even notice it.

Sometimes the only way to really fix those minor noises is to redo your ductwork but I don’t that’s in the budget.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    BTW you asked about trane specifically. I used to work for a very large trane dealer and yes I have dealt with that complaint more than once. It was never a serious issue, just the difference between old and new units.

And yes in an ideal world your ductwork would be perfect, but very few people have the money to upgrade ductwork for the sake of small noises.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Is the hum coming from the air intake itself or through the ceiling that just happens to be near the air intake?

Different air speeds can sometimes make a return air grill hum or make noises. The air will set up a harmonic in the metal lovers/fins that can make some really strange noises. If it is coming from the register metal itself it's easy enough to prove by just placing your finger on them one at a time to find out which one is vibrating. A little adjustment to the fin will usually always change the characteristics of it enough that it will quit vibrating.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    If they installed a larger system than your previous one it is likely that it is moving more air and has increased the velocity at the grille which is causing the vibration.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!