Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cleaning freezer evap. Coils

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    13,721
    Post Likes

    Cleaning freezer evap. Coils

    Have a food manufacturing facility that wants thier freezer coils cleaned.

    They have a light coating of cardboard dust from the boxes in the space.

    I'm afraid any water will just freeze on the coils and pan. Or am I over thinking this? Would flowing enough water, end up keeping it from freezing?

    Box temp. Is 5*F.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,732
    Post Likes
    You could put it into defrost first to warm the coil up and then wash it.
    Or maybe remove the X wire and wash it while it's defrosting?

    Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

  3. Likes Unlimited1 liked this post.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,930
    Post Likes
    Heres what we do

    Put into defrost , Prop the door open so you don't freeze to death while working

    Now you begin gathering your pump sprayer and chemical and hoses , and big ass catch pans .... while the freezer is warming up to about 30

    Move product from the area

    Kill the Breaker when the frost is gone

    Pull the drain pan down , set aside

    Set a couple of catch pans on the floor , and begin spraying the coil down

    Even if this cleaning takes you an Hour ..... no harm will be done to the product (unless its ice cream)
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

  5. Likes Restaurant mech, ksefan liked this post.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ft. Leonard Wood/Waynesville Missouri
    Posts
    1,844
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    You could put it into defrost first to warm the coil up and then wash it.
    Or maybe remove the X wire and wash it while it's defrosting?

    Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I usually leave pan on and drain into a trashcan if it's so bad your scared to clog drain. I have several different 3/4" drain pieces to hookup for this.

  7. Likes Snapperhead liked this post.
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Winnipeg Canada
    Posts
    2,345
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Heres what we do

    Put into defrost , Prop the door open so you don't freeze to death while working

    Now you begin gathering your pump sprayer and chemical and hoses , and big ass catch pans .... while the freezer is warming up to about 30

    Move product from the area

    Kill the Breaker when the frost is gone

    Pull the drain pan down , set aside

    Set a couple of catch pans on the floor , and begin spraying the coil down

    Even if this cleaning takes you an Hour ..... no harm will be done to the product (unless its ice cream)
    And on top of that I'll usually hit the coil with cal shield after so it's much easier to just rinse off next time.

  9. Likes Snapperhead liked this post.
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sea to Sky
    Posts
    6,134
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Have a food manufacturing facility that wants thier freezer coils cleaned.

    They have a light coating of cardboard dust from the boxes in the space.

    I'm afraid any water will just freeze on the coils and pan. Or am I over thinking this? Would flowing enough water, end up keeping it from freezing?

    Box temp. Is 5*F.
    You are over thinking it.....

    I have defrosted more frozen freezer coils than I care to count. The fastest way period is with hot water and lots of it. Cleaning a freezer coil is not really different other than at least your drain should be flowing already.

    Key as mentioned is to have it on defrost or at a minimum have the refrigeration turned off with the fans off.

    I never kept the doors open.. just wear the appropriate clothing.

    Move the product out of the way and go to town.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  11. Likes Unlimited1 liked this post.
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    13,721
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    We ended up doing it last week. Yeah, just used hot water. They weren't really that bad.

    We removed the fan grills and wrapped the motors with plastic, then covered the front to keep any spray from coming out. Also installed some stainless eyelits to hold the catch tarp....which was a great purchase...used it in the cooler also, and saved making a big mess. The cooler was WAY worse than the freezer.

    Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

  13. Likes Snapperhead, ksefan, icy78 liked this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •