Thread: Open TXV???

Post Likes

Open TXV???

I have a walk in freezer with a Trenton condenser and evaporator. The unit is running but it seems the TXV is wide open and it is flowing warm liquid into the evaporator I am baffled by this. It first happened 3 weeks ago and I replaced the TXV. Unit worked after that until last night. Im not sure where to turn now. I have never seen this happen before

Post Likes
    Whats your compressor sh? If the txv is wide open like you say it should be low and flooding the compressor. Some numbers will help us help you
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Whats your compressor sh? If the txv is wide open like you say it should be low and flooding the compressor. Some numbers will help us help you
    I will get that a little later. Fortunately this box is empty and I just shut it down . I work for a school district and have a few alligators nipping at my butt this morning.Hope to get back to it later today. Thank you

Post Likes
    Do you hear it Hissing standing next to the Evap ? Like Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

Post Likes
    Sounds to me like your headmaster is stuck and blowing hot gas into the liquid line.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Brr View Post
    Sounds to me like your headmaster is stuck and blowing hot gas into the liquid line.
    Or low on gas and headmaster is bypassing trying to keep head up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gentian View Post
    Or low on gas and headmaster is bypassing trying to keep head up
    Because the issue comes and I goes, it really sounds to me like the device is periodically sticking.

Post Likes
    Could be alot of things.

Any data? Does this seem to happen right after a defrost?

What is the ambient temperature?

What are the High and Low side pressure readings when this happens?

Compressor superheat? Discharge temperature? Liquid line temperature leaving the receiver?

Post Likes
    Because the issue comes and I goes, it really sounds to me like the device is periodically sticking.
    Right. without any pressure , temp numbers it could either or.

10. Likes Bob-Brr liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am really reluctant to sound like an argumentative fella, but, I have had this happen on a Copeland rack. The incidences occurred in the middle of the night and the customer lost everything in the box. Several weeks later it happened again. What will turn a perfectly operating system into a heat pump? After replacing the headmaster the issue never re-occurred. You can sit at the condensing unit for weeks, waiting for the issue to rear it's head, or, rule out the most likely.

Post Likes
    I agree with whomever said the system is low on charge and the headmaster is bypassing. I had one that would bypass at night because of the cooler weather and close when it got warmer during the day. Several technicians looked for a timer that was turning it off at night. I happened to look at it before it warmed up and figured the problem out.

13. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeppers in my case 1 lb. made the difference.
    That was after I had already replaced the HPC.

Post Likes
    If you suspect the head master hit it with a sprinkler 50* water is a great test
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    I am really reluctant to sound like an argumentative fella, but, I have had this happen on a Copeland rack. The incidences occurred in the middle of the night and the customer lost everything in the box. Several weeks later it happened again. What will turn a perfectly operating system into a heat pump? After replacing the headmaster the issue never re-occurred. You can sit at the condensing unit for weeks, waiting for the issue to rear it's head, or, rule out the most likely.
    Beg your pardon but what exactly is a "copeland rack"?

Post Likes
    A rack with Copeland compressors 🤷

18. Likes Bob-Brr liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Out in the cold View Post
    Beg your pardon but what exactly is a "copeland rack"?
    It was a few years back, I don't recall the actual "brand" but, I had 2 with the same handle. When I called about a condenser replacement UR steered me right to Copeland. So, maybe it is partly theirs, since all the compressors where theirs, and they had specs on the hardware?

Post Likes
    Sorry for the delay in getting back here . It as some stated was simply low on gas. I knew the site glass was flashing but assumed it was because the TXV was wide open. After a few minutes of checks the problem was evident. Found and fixed the leak and recharged. All is good now

21. Likes R600a, VTP99, ksefan liked this post.