Thread: HVAC business with owner operator and licensed contractor on staff.

Post Likes

HVAC business with owner operator and licensed contractor on staff.

Dear Friends,
    I live in a high growth region of NC and plan to invest money in an HVAC business. I’m looking at some listings that have come on the market that have a licensed contractor and technicians on staff with existing business and generating revenue in excess of $1M. I don’t have any experience in HVAC maintenance, repair or install. However I am an electrical engineer with a Master’s degree and have been in semiconductor industry for 20 years. Also, I’ve bought, sold and run other small businesses. So my question is, if I were to buy such an HVAC business with a licensed contractor on staff full time, is this legal and acceptable for the owner to be purely a business person and have required staffing (licensed contractors and technicians)? Has anyone had experience in running such an operation and if so have you been able to run it successfully and what are your experiences?

Post Likes
    It's going to depend on the licensing laws in that state. Many states allow a non-licensed person to own an HVAC business as long as the company employs a licensed person who is in substantial control of the business.

But you should consider what you will do if the licensed person leaves the company. It would be best if you also got licensed so you'll have a back-up plan.

3. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My take on the matter is that anyone who is licensed and comes with a few decades of experience is probably capable of running their own local shop. You're indicating that you'd like to own an HVAC business, but you're not going to be the one doing the work, and essentially you won't be the one making the money for the business.

There's also countless horror stories on this site that guys have shared about nightmare bosses that drove them to leave. Many of them decided to start their own business after that expirience and found they were a lot happier working for themselves. Myself included.....

So I guess my best advice to you is to really think about what you'd have to offer this industry. Why would someone with all the skills want to work for your business instead of work for themselves and keep ALL the money they earn. I'd like to hear more about what you can offer......

Post Likes
    Wanna Have a million bucks ? Start with about 10 million and not knowing anything about hvac buy a HVAC business. I don't know about SC but here in my state if the license holder quits your are now out of business. Now if that person dies you have 30 days to get a license holder.
    You might look at the SC rules and could be similar to here if you have are a P.E.then your good to be a hvac contractor.

Post Likes
    What you are describing , is perfectly legal in NC.
    The license holder does not have to be the owner.
    But; must be listed with the state as FTE.
    If there are no techs now, (how are they even in business?) they won't be easy to come by.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.