Thread: Should I ask electrician to address on 1 year warranty walk?

Post Likes

Should I ask electrician to address on 1 year warranty walk?

I'm coming up on my 1 year warranty walk, and would like some feedback on the following:

1. Panel and most breakers are Eaton, but some higher amp breakers are Siemens. Are all breakers in a panel supposed to be the same brand? Is the whole house surge protection breaker set also supposed to be the same brand?
    2. Panel has breakers marked AFCI, AFCI/GFCI and some with neither marking. One kitchen outlet circuit is on an AFCI only (no GFCI) breaker, as is the outlet for the jetted tub. One set of bath outlets is controlled by a breaker with neither marking, and none of the outlets on the circuit are GFCI.

On the level of severity regarding these issues, are these
    a. probably ok, so don't request they be addressed at warranty
    b. probably not ok, and request the electrician review and address as needed for code compliance as part of warranty?
    c. totally not ok and so bad I should not let the original electrician back and come out of pocket to hire someone else to fix this and see what else they find

Regarding why this was not caught on inspection, after the house got an electrical final, the electrician came back to "finish" things the electrical inspector apparently did not notice were not done which definitely included installing at least one of the brand B breakers. The electrical inspector also spent no more than 5 seconds looking at the panel and never took the cover off.

Thanks in advance for your guidance on the above.

Post Likes
    Per code on new installs all breakers have to match panel brand and those gfci's need to be in place. We cannot give advise on this other than what you already know. You know what needs to be done. I would give the contractor a chance to correct it if it was my house. Then if things aren't satisfactory I would go with someone else.
    As a side note since end of 2020 breakers are hard to come by. You get waves of supply. One day some items may be in surplus with others being months out. It could have been just what they could get. So long as the breaker is under the approved type there isn't anything to worry about.

DTOM

Post Likes
    The reply is much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    Per code on new installs all breakers have to match panel brand
    I was not 100% sure this was code, so I appreciate that clarification. The whole house surge protector is installed in the panel like a breaker, but I'm not sure if it is considered a breaker. Is it's brand required to match the panel board brand?

Per code on new installs ... those gfci's need to be in place.
    Yes, somehow over the years I acquired the understanding kitchens & baths need GFCI, and the tub owners manual that clearly states those circuits are supposed to be GFIC, so thank you for confirming. I'd like to identify all the breakers that may need rearranging or replacing so electrician can address all when they come out. All the breakers that include GFIC are dual GFIC /AFIC, so if they get GFIC, they will get AFIC. There are some AFIC only breakers, and some that are labeled for neither. Googling indicates the only place neither AFIC or GFIC is required is at attic light fixtures. Is this correct? What about for exterior lights, and direct wired equipment such as an ERV and kitchen exhaust hood?

We cannot give advise on this other than what you already know. You know what needs to be done.
    I do not want to violate any board policies- not sure if that is what your comments is hinting at. If there is anything else I should be looking for that you are allowed to comment on, I would appreciate being pointed in which direction I'm supposed to look...

I would give the contractor a chance to correct it if it was my house. Then if things aren't satisfactory I would go with someone else.
    Thank you. This is good to know to put this in perspective.

As a side note since end of 2020 breakers are hard to come by. You get waves of supply. One day some items may be in surplus with others being months out. It could have been just what they could get. So long as the breaker is under the approved type there isn't anything to worry about.
    Thank you. It is also good to know there may have been an explanation for the mixed brand breakers other than not caring, and also good to know there does not appear to be any imminent danger with the mixed brands of breakers, since I was unsure how serious this is. For the kitchen circuit not on GFCI I have turned off the breaker so it does not get used. I am anxious for the bath circuit to be GFIC protected as turning off that breaker would be met with considerable resistance in my household...

4. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The residential panels I have worked on all had a specific list of manufacturer approved breakers posted in on the lid of the breaker panel. If they are not on the approved list, they do not belong in the box per the manufacturer and would be a violation of the UL listing on the panel. This is my understanding on the matter.