Thread: Is IQAir Perfect 16 compatible with Carrier Infinity series?

Post Likes

Is IQAir Perfect 16 compatible with Carrier Infinity series?

I am remodeling a new house and thinking about replacing the existing HVAC system with Carrier Infinity series + IQAir Perfect 16. I hear that IQAir Perfect 16 is near the top of the line for air filtering.

My first question is if the two will work well together. IQAir Perfect 16, like any other filter, will add some pressure drop to the furnace. A huge selling point of the Infinity blower is that it is variable speed. I wonder the IQAir Perfect 16 will interfere with the furnace when it is working at very low speed.

My second question is who will install such a system. It seems that Carrier and IQAir both have their own technicians. I wonder if there is a technician who is authorized by both to build Carrier + IQAir.

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    1. It’s not Carrier or IQAir that you should consider. Get a tech knowledgeable in air flow.

2. As a homeowner, the correct forum for your post is AOP, Ask Our Pros.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Carrier Infinity, the fully communicating equipment is compatible with....... Carrier Infinity stuff.

Can other mfrs things work with Carrier Infinity, maybe.

"...with a pressure drop of 0.22 in H20." This is from their website.

That is quite a restriction to overcome and needs to be a design consideration BEFORE any system decision is made!!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    @pacnw, thanks a lot. The thing I really need is the IQAir. Yeah, I see it is quite a restriction and this is the time to make design decisions beforehand because right now we are installing new systems. But I know very little about HVAC. Do you have suggestions on where to start designing a system?

Post Likes
    In order to do a setup that serious, you likely need an HVAC designer. An HVAC designer or MEP (Mechanicals/Electrical/Plumbing) engineer will do a Manual J/S/D/T in order to design the system you need from start to finish.

Examples include Positive Energy, Energy Vanguard, HVAC Design Pros, etc. Matt Risinger has a great video on how to do a proper residential HVAC setup. Google "New BUILD : Excellent Air Conditioning System Cost? I’ll tell you!" -- I can't post links yet. :/

Post Likes
    @inverter, thanks for the info. Without it, I don't even know where to start. I really appreciate it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Carrier Infinity, the fully communicating equipment is compatible with....... Carrier Infinity stuff.

Can other mfrs things work with Carrier Infinity, maybe.

"...with a pressure drop of 0.22 in H20." This is from their website.

That is quite a restriction to overcome and needs to be a design consideration BEFORE any system decision is made!!!!!
    I feel that P16 is in fact fine with Carrier series. Here is why:

1. Perfect 16 website says that the pressure drop is "0.22 in H2O at 2000 cfm"
    2. The Carrier 59TP6A installation manual says that the best practice is usually to choose filter systems with pressure drops under 0.2 in. H2O.

Now note that the maximum airflow for this furnace, according to the product spec, is about 1000 CFM. In other words, the air pressure caused by Perfect 16 at 1000 CFM is only going to be 0.1 in. WC, about half of the maximum recommended pressure drop.

So we are fine!