Thread: not normal.

Post Likes

not normal.

found on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HVAC/commen...is_before_lol/

Thought this belonged here. Short video at link.

Name:  duct short.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  54.9 KB
    Who’s to blame?... if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. V for Vendetta

Post Likes
    Any idea of the location.

I remember doing a furnace replacement in a retail store. The supply plenum had suspended ceiling grid screwed to it. I started to notice that every time I ran my arm along the plenum it felt like there was a sharp edge but running my hand across the same place it felt smooth.

I ended up checking it with my VOM. 70ish volts to ground from the plenum. We figured they had a ballast in one of the troughers gong bad and bleeding voltage.

So I could see if you had a T-bar diffuser in the grid the wire could carry some power back to a grounded plenum.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Any idea of the location.

I remember doing a furnace replacement in a retail store. The supply plenum had suspended ceiling grid screwed to it. I started to notice that every time I ran my arm along the plenum it felt like there was a sharp edge but running my hand across the same place it felt smooth.

I ended up checking it with my VOM. 70ish volts to ground from the plenum. We figured they had a ballast in one of the troughers gong bad and bleeding voltage.

So I could see if you had a T-bar diffuser in the grid the wire could carry some power back to a grounded plenum.
    no idea just a random thing that popped in my feed.
    Who’s to blame?... if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. V for Vendetta

Post Likes
    I've got this one site that has been doing some massive upgrades to increase production. Very near to the equipment I work on are two somewhat large filtered air intakes that have two steel supports each. Maybe 2 1/2" square steel tube.

One day I grabbed onto one of the supports and leaned against the equipment I was servicing. YOWZA !!

Got zapped pretty good. The other three poles are anchored by drilling into the asphalt. This one pole is about 1/2" off of the ground and not anchored. Got my paint pen out and wrote LIVE POWER on both sides of the pole.

A bit later in the day the head of facilities stopped by to see how things were going. I say, pretty good except for this over here. I showed my 'live power' note. Told him I got a pretty good zap out of it. He stated "it's probably only 30-40 volts".

I say, let's get the meter out. Meter says 115 VAC. His eyes got pretty big. Said he'd take care of it. Then retired shortly after. So there it sits, just waiting to zap the next guy who can't read English.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I'm feelin' a little peculiar.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I've got this one site that has been doing some massive upgrades to increase production. Very near to the equipment I work on are two somewhat large filtered air intakes that have two steel supports each. Maybe 2 1/2" square steel tube.

One day I grabbed onto one of the supports and leaned against the equipment I was servicing. YOWZA !!

Got zapped pretty good. The other three poles are anchored by drilling into the asphalt. This one pole is about 1/2" off of the ground and not anchored. Got my paint pen out and wrote LIVE POWER on both sides of the pole.

A bit later in the day the head of facilities stopped by to see how things were going. I say, pretty good except for this over here. I showed my 'live power' note. Told him I got a pretty good zap out of it. He stated "it's probably only 30-40 volts".

I say, let's get the meter out. Meter says 115 VAC. His eyes got pretty big. Said he'd take care of it. Then retired shortly after. So there it sits, just waiting to zap the next guy who can't read English.
    The worst I have gotten zapped is due to these things.

The little metal nib on the side is a direct connection the internals. The terminals had insulate slip on terminals.

While trouble shooting the panel I put my hand down next to this damn thing. Got bit by 460volt. Thankfully the path was through my palm back into the sheet metal panel.

Replaced all 6 in the panel on my own dime with the bussmann version that does not have the glaring design flaw. That said these are designed so the screw in cap for the fuse is supposed to be facing you. They where install in a panel with the cap facing downwards and you had no idea these where there till you took the cover off the panel.

Post Likes
    Years ago when people were still doing full duct installs in homes with ceiling heat... used to get bit quite a bit touching the cabinets.

Used to go up to them and slap them...... still do on occassion...
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes
    One time when I was working up north I came across a furnace that flame rectifying issue. Figured out I Had voltage on the ground cleaned up my tools turned of fluorescent light to head up stairs to tell customer Tried it once more and it worked. Turned light back on and it went out. Turned out ballast in light was bad drop ceiling grid was screwed to ductwork thus sending power to my ground

Post Likes
    Reminds me of a call I had a couple of years ago. Commercial system with three zones. Problems since day one, years ago.

I find the power for the zone board tied into a lighting circuit. And with Rona coming to town, only a couple people in the office, most lights were off.

One might say that I got lucky, but of all the other techs that looked at it, IT WAS ME who found the problem, LOL !!

Quote Originally Posted by I know a little View Post
    One time when I was working up north I came across a furnace that flame rectifying issue. Figured out I Had voltage on the ground cleaned up my tools turned of fluorescent light to head up stairs to tell customer Tried it once more and it worked. Turned light back on and it went out. Turned out ballast in light was bad drop ceiling grid was screwed to ductwork thus sending power to my ground
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I'm feelin' a little peculiar.