Thread: All about the little things.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes

All about the little things.

I'm going to head this one off at the pass because I know this is not the most aesthetically pleasing install but aesthetics don't make equipment last.
    I'm not particularly happy with my transition on the top of the coil just being an 18" take off and reducer but at least it's a little bit better than the 16-in take off it had originally. I wanted a square to round transition but I wasn't able to get one.
    These units come with ports installed for the safeties but they don't come with the safety's already installed so I added a manual reset high pressure safety and a low pressure safety with a lockout relay and I replaced the factory 30 amp contactor with a 40 amp contactor and replaced the Chinese capacitor with an American made capacitor and tidied up wires and strapped them in such a way that I can cut one zip tie to release the condenser fan wires without affecting the rest of the wiring.
    Also I replaced the line set with 7/8 in copper and ran it with no sags under the house and properly supported along with all new drain line because the previous company didn't glue any of the fittings or support the drain properly so now the drain is actually sloped downhill so there is much less chance of it clogging up but just in case it does I installed a condensate safety.
    The reason I really like to use a low pressure safety with a lockout relay is if somebody turns the AC on when it's way too cold outside to be running the AC and it trips the low pressure safety it will lock out and then the fans circulating air through cold duct work will quite possibly cool the house enough and satisfy the thermostat or natural cooling of the building itself will satisfy the thermostat which will reset the lockout relay and allow the system to operate properly next time there is a call for cooling instead of just cycling repeatedly on the low pressure safety.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

2. Likes 406Tinner, Red850kid liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My eyes burn from that coil picture. Lol.

DTOM

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    My eyes burn from that coil picture. Lol.

DTOM
    So you like my "transition"?
    Manufactured homes have some special challenges.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Aesthetically pleasing is one thing but that coil transition is bad news unless that coil is 6" under the plate with the tap in it.

And that disconnect isn't very aesthetically pleasing either, or does the flex go back inside and come back out the hole.

You never want "flat" in duct transitions where air is flowing. It either creates obstructions or eddies which create obstructions, or both.

7. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Aesthetically pleasing is one thing but that coil transition is bad news unless that coil is 6" under the plate with the tap in it.

And that disconnect isn't very aesthetically pleasing either, or does the flex go back inside and come back out the hole.

You never want "flat" in duct transitions where air is flowing. It either creates obstructions or eddies which create obstructions, or both.
    Yeah I'm not happy with that either. I really wanted a nice smooth square to round transition but I don't have tools to work sheet metal I couldn't get one made or buy one pre-made anywhere locally so I went back with a slightly upgraded version of what the factory did. There is a decent gap between the top of the coil and the top of the box but not nearly as much as I would like.
    Yeah the siding guys did a number on that disconnect. I was unhappy with the whip running along the top of that brick ledge so I poked it back through the hole and ran it out like it is now to improve it a bit.

Post Likes
    I just realized my title is kind of hilarious. There's a lot of little things and even some not quite so little things that could be a lot better.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I just realized my title is kind of hilarious. There's a lot of little things and even some not quite so little things that could be a lot better.
    Yeah, little things are like the armiflex could have been a bit longer.

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    "That's what she said"
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

13. Likes R600a, BBeerme, Zamoramax liked this post.