Thread: Removing Air Handler and piping insulation

Post Likes

Removing Air Handler and piping insulation

Hey all -- I own a small company and we clean large air handler / supply fan systems as well as cooling towers and heat exchangers. We were recently asked to remove insulation from the air handler walls (dark gray insulation pinned on) as well as the plumbing inside the air handler (old white insulation wrapping). It has tested negative for asbestos. Having never done this work, I was wondering if there were any tools and/or tips that would help me make sure we do a great job and look professional doing it. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

Post Likes
    I usually hired an insulation contractor for this work.
    My experience was they were better, faster, cheaper when all was considered.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Reminds me of a job from decades ago. My boss dude showed me and asked my thoughts. Told him I would need a bunny suit and respirator.

Day came to do the job, he handed me a bunny suit and one of those paper masks that people wear these days. Told him, that is not a respirator. He said you need to be licensed to purchase and wear a respirator. I probably made some sort of a smart ass remark. He stuck to it. I told to eff off, he only had two choices. I can either walk away, or you give me a PO and I'll go to Grainger (about four miles away) and return with a respirator and we'll knock this crap out. Your choice.

He opted to give me a PO. LOL
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I'm feelin' a little peculiar.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Reminds me of a job from decades ago. My boss dude showed me and asked my thoughts. Told him I would need a bunny suit and respirator.

Day came to do the job, he handed me a bunny suit and one of those paper masks that people wear these days. Told him, that is not a respirator. He said you need to be licensed to purchase and wear a respirator. I probably made some sort of a smart ass remark. He stuck to it. I told to eff off, he only had two choices. I can either walk away, or you give me a PO and I'll go to Grainger (about four miles away) and return with a respirator and we'll knock this crap out. Your choice.

He opted to give me a PO. LOL
    With many contractors I'd have felt lucky to get anything in the past. Literally anything. Things are better today for most guys.
    It's amazing to try to keep their people safe then listen to the bitching about OSHA.
    Conservative business owners don't like OSHA. Not because OSHA is a bad idea but because they cost them $$.
    As a contractor it can get pricey to get the stuff they need. Harness, hard hat, safety glasses to start.

Then there's the guys that can't pass a drug test. I was on a bus that rode us to a job site. Two guys are telling how to take a
    drug test using stuff to come up clean. So a contractor is spending a lot of $$ to keep workers safe at the same time the effort is
    being sabotaged because their guys are high.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Regarding that drug test thing, there was a stoner on my last job and he knew how to get around the urine sample. Pretty sure he would not have made it past a blood test.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I'm feelin' a little peculiar.

Post Likes
    I ended up having to do the suction line in my house. It was for the upstairs unit and the lineset is below the 2nd story concrete floor and covered by a drywall ceiling on the first floor. Wasn't pretty but it's a good thing I had replaced the ceiling 5 years prior. I had the hopper and I'm the one who did the knockdown finish, so it matched perfectly.

Post Likes
    Are you just removing it or replacing it. It will need to get put back on as its there for a reason. You need to have a insulator that is in the pipe covering business called a pipecoverer to look at it You slop it back on and and have a air gap somewhere , it will be crap before long if its for chilled water.