Thread: One of the last of the Navajo code talkers has passed

Post Likes

One of the last of the Navajo code talkers has passed

Samuel Sandoval, one of the last remaining Navajo Code Talkers, has died at age 98

I had the pleasure of meeting this man in the late 80s because I was dating his daughter. At the time she and I met I had never even heard of the code talkers and their contributions to victory in WW2. Their work remained classified until the 60s and most people today still don't know they existed.

Post Likes
    My Wife and I had met another, Chester Nez and his Son. Very likeable and willing to talk about his life.
    Chester Nez also died recently.

I would recommend his book Code Talker. He was always positive in his writing.
    Today, at a time when people are condemning the taking of Native kids and forcing their culture
    on them, Mr. Nez was thankful because he learned to read and write that made his accomplishments possible.

What he did in battle wasn't from far away, it was up close and personal. Like his book.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Rip. Unknown the number of lives the saved.

More native Americans served in WW2 than any other group by %, some tribes had 75% of eligible men enlisted. Their unique skills made them invaluable. Some of their stories are amazing.
    Last edited by ehsx; 08-02-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Rip. Unknown the number of lives the saved.

More native Americans served in WW2 than any other group by %, some tribes had 75% of eligible men enlisted. Their unique skills made them invaluable. Some of their stories are amazing.
    It is amazing how little most Americans know about the First Nation.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

5. Likes desert guy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    A very good read is the book Geronimo My Life by S.M. Barrett.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    You aren't kidding about that. A couple of weeks ago I was at the Crazy Horse Memorial while on vacation and spent a ton of time in the museum there. The museum focuses more on the culture of the different tribes than it does on what settlers and government did to those tribes over time. I actually didn't know that the Navajo weren't the only code talkers in the US military, just the most well known. It's amazing that native people fought for a country that has spent so many years doing them wrong.

8. Likes hvacker, mo-flo liked this post.