+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fieldpiece to make a real combustion analyser.

Post Likes

Fieldpiece to make a real combustion analyser.

-Marty

2. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Man you beat me to it, just saw it on TTT myself!

Not sure I want to be the Guinea pig on this one, but their wireless job link is pretty much unmatched with exception of the iConnect, but I've been down that road.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    And you can view it on the app from a thousand feet away I'm not sure why you'd want to but if you get that urge it's doable.
    No thanks I'll stick with Bacharach.
    I Love Fieldpiece but some things I'm not willing to buy from them.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Not sure about the continuous draft test on the CAT85, nor additional built in dual port manometer. These digital manometers tend to drift, not to mention measuring draft while sucking in sample air from the same port has got be baffled. I've been looking for a new CA, but I have a new sealed CO sensor for my Testo 327, new long life battery, and might just get a new O2 sensor for the upcoming season. New shiny tools are so hard to resist though. I may just give the CAT45 a whirl...

Post Likes
    Looking at all the other CA's on the market, and I just gotta say, FP has everyone beat on user technology. I don't see the point of adding over $200 for a printer when you can buy a BT iOS printer for $40 on amazon.

Damn! Now, I'm liking the CAT85. It seems the 45 doesn't have a removable wand hose/cable. Pretty sure there will be some hick-ups with the new production, but FP is pretty good at taking care of issues under warranty. I'm really diggin' the black backround screen, and all the features. The Testo 300 is really nice, but they fall completely short of usability. It has the tech built in, but Testo refuses to listen to their customers. I watch videos, seeing how much a PITA it is to use the wireless reporting features. After using their smart probes, I can't deny they are far behind FP in that arena.

Post Likes
    I haven't seen the new FP CA except for what others have seen online, but I really don't see the need for the app to view it. I'm usually right there at the flue anyway.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I haven't seen the new FP CA except for what others have seen online, but I really don't see the need for the app to view it. I'm usually right there at the flue anyway.
    Even though I joke about the app I actually do see you use for it. If you can use the app to generate a report to email to the owner and for your own records that would be very handy at least for me it would be. I currently use the Bacharach app when I do combustion analysis and it's useful but it's a little bit clunky.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    It's days like this that I'm a little glad I don't do field work anymore, but I still sat here for a minute thinking about buying one. I guess it could keep all my other tools in the garage company. LOL

10. Likes R600a, ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Even though I joke about the app I actually do see you use for it. If you can use the app to generate a report to email to the owner and for your own records that would be very handy at least for me it would be. I currently use the Bacharach app when I do combustion analysis and it's useful but it's a little bit clunky.
    Yeah, I’m still using my old Testo 327 and leave a printout on the job site. It’s so easy to email the probe info from the fp app I would like a CA that’s just as easy. I’m still liking the Testo 300 but don’t know if the app is any better. I just do t understand why they use WiFi instead of BT?

12. Likes R600a, pacnw liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Yeah, I’m still using my old Testo 327 and leave a printout on the job site. It’s so easy to email the probe info from the fp app I would like a CA that’s just as easy. I’m still liking the Testo 300 but don’t know if the app is any better. I just do t understand why they use WiFi instead of BT?
    My Bacharach uses a QR code on the screen to transfer the data to the app but the app it confusing and I don't know how to enter addresses or anything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Not sure about the continuous draft test on the CAT85,.

Yeah I commented on their YouTube video asking them them to explain how it can measure draft during a combustion test.
    -Marty

Post Likes
    I wonder if these will integrate with MQ? I imagine that these will come out at a much lower price point than the BlueFlame so, if they do integrate with MQ it would be a game changer.
    -Marty

Post Likes
    It is kind of weird that a Field Piece engineer sat through my class and then quizzed me on the functions of combustion analyzers and what features I liked the most. They were supposed to send me their first prototype which they did and it didn't work at all. After that they have not talked to us. There is probably a reason they haven't sent me the new one.

There is no reason to measure draft and combustion simultaneously in the same location. Draft needs to be measured farther upstream on induced draft equipment and in a totally different location on drafthood equipment. I guess the engineer didn't pay attention to all the NCI protocols.

There are a few new analyzers on the market but it is easy to tell the manufacturers that make them don't know how to do a proper combustion test. Okay, neither do the other manufacturers that make them. Of course some think that the videos Youtube got it right. I guess when people don't know the truth they will believe any misinformation.
    captain CO

17. Likes ksefan, gravity, STEVEusaPA, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I dunno, I do the test, print the results and stick the printout on the unit and then log it in my records in case the printout gets lost. Even if I emailed it to the customer they would probably lose it. Most want me to keep track of their equipment. Really as long as it heats and cools when it should they're happy and want me to worry with details. We have commercial buildings with 10 or more units, so I've been putting a clipboard at each unit with all the details on it and a record of testing and filter change nfo so all anyone has to do is look at it to see its up to date.

19. Likes pacnw liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I will save my money
    -Marty

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    It is kind of weird that a Field Piece engineer sat through my class and then quizzed me on the functions of combustion analyzers and what features I liked the most. They were supposed to send me their first prototype which they did and it didn't work at all. After that they have not talked to us. There is probably a reason they haven't sent me the new one.

There is no reason to measure draft and combustion simultaneously in the same location. Draft needs to be measured farther upstream on induced draft equipment and in a totally different location on drafthood equipment. I guess the engineer didn't pay attention to all the NCI protocols.

There are a few new analyzers on the market but it is easy to tell the manufacturers that make them don't know how to do a proper combustion test. Okay, neither do the other manufacturers that make them. Of course some think that the videos Youtube got it right. I guess when people don't know the truth they will believe any misinformation.
    Did you see if it worked before or after it landed on the ground

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    It is kind of weird that a Field Piece engineer sat through my class and then quizzed me on the functions of combustion analyzers and what features I liked the most. .
    What did he score on the test? LOL! Nevermind, I'm sure that's private.

Post Likes
    After breaking several analyzers over the years I do use them before I drop or throw them.
    captain CO

24. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I dunno, I do the test, print the results and stick the printout on the unit and then log it in my records in case the printout gets lost. Even if I emailed it to the customer they would probably lose it. Most want me to keep track of their equipment. Really as long as it heats and cools when it should they're happy and want me to worry with details. We have commercial buildings with 10 or more units, so I've been putting a clipboard at each unit with all the details on it and a record of testing and filter change info so all anyone has to do is look at it to see its up to date.
    Printout on site and a photo of it in the customer's file.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    After seeing many posts of combustion analyzer printouts, I am thinking if I should I leave self-incriminating proof behind that can be used against me. It is easy to tell when it is done wrong, or someone doesn't have a clue what the readings indicate.
    captain CO

27. Likes R600a liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in