Thread: I Think This Is A Compressor

Post Likes

I Think This Is A Compressor

Name:  Compressor.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  88.9 KB I think this is an old compressor of some type can anyone confirm.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Post Likes
    Looks like a pressure or vacuum vessel for fluids. It has a sight glass. Is that gauge pressure or vacuum? Is there anything being driven by that cross-shaft across the top? The thing running in the bearings with grease cups - what is the left end connected to?

Quote Originally Posted by johndief View Post
    Name:  Compressor.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  88.9 KB I think this is an old compressor of some type can anyone confirm.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Looks like a pressure or vacuum vessel for fluids. It has a sight glass. Is that gauge pressure or vacuum? Is there anything being driven by that cross-shaft across the top? The thing running in the bearings with grease cups - what is the left end connected to?
    It is not running or hooked up to anything. It is in a compressor room of and old general store in a small town. Everything in this compressor room has been abandoned. it has bastian blessing on the tag or puffer hubbard i can't
    remember which, both of them made ice cream freezers long ago that's what makes me think it is a compressor. But I don't know what else they made.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Post Likes
    Can you get some more pics? Shots of the top and all around the sides?

What is under that base? Can this thing you pictured have been just-a-part of something else? The top of some other vessel or machine? All those bolts sure makes it look more like a pressure flange than it does a simple mount base.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by johndief View Post
    It is not running or hooked up to anything. It is in a compressor room of and old general store in a small town. Everything in this compressor room has been abandoned. it has bastian blessing on the tag or puffer hubbard i can't
    remember which, both of them made ice cream freezers long ago that's what makes me think it is a compressor. But I don't know what else they made.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Can you get some more pics? Shots of the top and all around the sides?

What is under that base? Can this thing you pictured have been just-a-part of something else? The top of some other vessel or machine? All those bolts sure makes it look more like a pressure flange than it does a simple mount base.

PHM
    --------
    Next time I am there I will get more pictures.

Post Likes
    Gas booster pump?

Post Likes
    That there belongs in a Museum !

Post Likes
    Was there ever a steam boiler in the place?

Could that have been a vacuum pump.

9. Likes hcs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ever work on one that was setup well and working right? Steam drive vacuum pumps. A few ounces of steam pressure. Everything silky smooth and pleasant in the mechanical room and silent even heat everywhere throughout the building.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by RLJN View Post
    Was there ever a steam boiler in the place?

Could that have been a vacuum pump.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    It looks like a still. Is this in Kentucky?

12. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Definitely some kind of belt driven pump. Old. There was a flower shop in an ancient bldg around here that had a belt driven compressor, both long since gone. Worked on it twice. It's been a long time ago...think it used R-12.

Post Likes
    Looks like part of a dry cleaning equipment. Worked on a couple of things that looked very much like that.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall