Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: I Think This Is A Compressor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    218
    Post Likes

    I Think This Is A Compressor

    Name:  Compressor.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  88.9 KB I think this is an old compressor of some type can anyone confirm.

  2. #2
    Poodle Head Mikey's Avatar
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Posts
    33,995
    Post Likes
    Looks like a pressure or vacuum vessel for fluids. It has a sight glass. Is that gauge pressure or vacuum? Is there anything being driven by that cross-shaft across the top? The thing running in the bearings with grease cups - what is the left end connected to?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndief View Post
    Name:  Compressor.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  88.9 KB I think this is an old compressor of some type can anyone confirm.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    218
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Looks like a pressure or vacuum vessel for fluids. It has a sight glass. Is that gauge pressure or vacuum? Is there anything being driven by that cross-shaft across the top? The thing running in the bearings with grease cups - what is the left end connected to?
    It is not running or hooked up to anything. It is in a compressor room of and old general store in a small town. Everything in this compressor room has been abandoned. it has bastian blessing on the tag or puffer hubbard i can't
    remember which, both of them made ice cream freezers long ago that's what makes me think it is a compressor. But I don't know what else they made.

  4. #4
    Poodle Head Mikey's Avatar
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Posts
    33,995
    Post Likes
    Can you get some more pics? Shots of the top and all around the sides?

    What is under that base? Can this thing you pictured have been just-a-part of something else? The top of some other vessel or machine? All those bolts sure makes it look more like a pressure flange than it does a simple mount base.

    PHM
    --------


    Quote Originally Posted by johndief View Post
    It is not running or hooked up to anything. It is in a compressor room of and old general store in a small town. Everything in this compressor room has been abandoned. it has bastian blessing on the tag or puffer hubbard i can't
    remember which, both of them made ice cream freezers long ago that's what makes me think it is a compressor. But I don't know what else they made.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    218
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Can you get some more pics? Shots of the top and all around the sides?

    What is under that base? Can this thing you pictured have been just-a-part of something else? The top of some other vessel or machine? All those bolts sure makes it look more like a pressure flange than it does a simple mount base.

    PHM
    --------
    Next time I am there I will get more pictures.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    40,283
    Post Likes
    Gas booster pump?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    33,515
    Post Likes
    That there belongs in a Museum !

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    307
    Post Likes
    Was there ever a steam boiler in the place?

    Could that have been a vacuum pump.

  9. Likes hcs liked this post.
  10. #9
    Poodle Head Mikey's Avatar
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    The water's not gonna clear up in Washington DC until we get the pigs out of the creek.
    Posts
    33,995
    Post Likes
    Ever work on one that was setup well and working right? Steam drive vacuum pumps. A few ounces of steam pressure. Everything silky smooth and pleasant in the mechanical room and silent even heat everywhere throughout the building.

    PHM
    -------



    Quote Originally Posted by RLJN View Post
    Was there ever a steam boiler in the place?

    Could that have been a vacuum pump.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mahwah NJ
    Posts
    534
    Post Likes
    It looks like a still. Is this in Kentucky?

  12. Likes R600a liked this post.
  13. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Deep Southeast
    Posts
    25,488
    Post Likes
    Definitely some kind of belt driven pump. Old. There was a flower shop in an ancient bldg around here that had a belt driven compressor, both long since gone. Worked on it twice. It's been a long time ago...think it used R-12.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,649
    Post Likes
    Looks like part of a dry cleaning equipment. Worked on a couple of things that looked very much like that.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •