Thread: MOLD!

Post Likes

MOLD!

How do I get rid of this mold? It's everywhere on the underside of the main floor floorboards, accessible via the basement drop-panel ceiling. I think it's contributing to the musty smell on the main floor.

Name:  20220728_190005.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  2.67 MB

Post Likes
    alot of things can be thought of mold. You need to sample it, and have it tested from a lab; you cannot assume. Once verified you can purchase a mold spray from the hardware store and have that painted with a fungicide or mold spray. It's easier than you think.

Post Likes
    Test it and see if it is fact mold, or just mildew, could be a number of things but mostly in my line of work microbial growth only shows faces in places that have higher moisture ratings then they are supposed to, also maybe check out rgf.com they have great products that will be able to help with both control and smell

Post Likes
    It looks like the top half of the floor joist has been wet, but the bottom looks clean. Maybe there was a downpour during construction after the floor was installed but before the roof was in place.

Post Likes
    Probably need long term humidity control in the basement that avoids moisture condensation on the bottom of the main floor during the warm moist seasons of the year. If you live in green grass you should consider adding small whole house dehumidifier to the basement that controls humidity in the basement and whole house. Uniits like the Santa Fe or Broan that connect to the central a/c and supply the basement.

Look forward to further discussions of the benefits of fresh filtered air ventilation purging the indoor pollutants and renew oxygen.

Keep us posted.

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

Mobile home wash white stuff

I had problems in Florida with mold on siding. The only solution I found which could penetrate the vinyl is to use mobile home white stuff and follow with bleach solution. Bleach solution or mold killer would not work. I had to use a brush for the white stuff found at mobile home supply. Power washer with mobile home wash nope. Mold can be difficult to kill. Mold is everywhere down here.