Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No SH, low SC, Suggestions?

Post Likes

No SH, low SC, Suggestions?

10 ton 3 phase Goodman R22 heat pump. No superheat, about 2 degrees subcooling on vapor side. 24-26 amps on the compressor, 30 rla. It's a bugger to get inside the unit, AND it's not even 1' away from the wall and another unit 3 feet away, maybe. so:

Need some help here. My plan of attack, based on ease of checking:
    After checking with the manufacturer to see if its safe on this particular unit to do a draw down check the compressor. Will it draw down to 0 psig.
    Next check the reversing valve. Voltage, magnatism, smack it, check temperatures on the legs.
    Last, check the txv.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    10 ton 3 phase Goodman R22 heat pump. No superheat, about 2 degrees subcooling on vapor side. 24-26 amps on the compressor, 30 rla. It's a bugger to get inside the unit, AND it's not even 1' away from the wall and another unit 3 feet away, maybe. so:

After checking with the manufacturer to see if its safe on this particular unit to do a draw down check the compressor. Will it draw down to 0 psig.
    Next check the reversing valve. Voltage, magnatism, smack it, check temperatures on the legs.
    Last, check the txv.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    What was the indoor temps?
    Adjustable txv?
    Airflow?
    Model numbers?

Post Likes
    No SH, lo SC, all your refrigerant is stacked up in the evap. Could be a matter evap, belt slipping, motor running backwards, supply damper closed or return also. Possible metered g device over feeding.

4. Likes R600a, Red850kid liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Complete readings or just a big hammer?

Post Likes
    Indoor temps, about 74 DB.
    Adjustable txv? Can't see it well enough to tell.
    Airflow? Delta T just under 17 degees. Cooling well, but sight glass is gassed over.
    Model number GSH101203AD

It does cool well, interestingly. Only checked it because I was trying to find out why the other unit blew a fuse. Someone else checked that one and only replaced the breaker, but didn't try to find out why it blew. Low charge and almost totally felted over and frozen coil. While I'm up on the platform, might as well check the other unit, right? Been years since it was serviced. And despite being a heat pump, no insulation on the liquid line! But no worries, converted to hot water heater.

Post Likes
    And despite being a heat pump, no insulation on the liquid line!
    Why would it? It's never done in my area.
    Nest is POO!!

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Low airflow and low charge.

Post Likes
    Low charge? Because the SC is low? Then why is the SH also low? I added 2 lbs that I shouldn't have added because I thought the same thing initially, but zero change in SC and SH.

Post Likes
    And despite being a heat pump, no insulation on the liquid line!

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Why would it? It's never done in my area.
    Maybe because the installation manual specifically says it must be insulated? The TXV is outside on a heat pump, not indoors. Big temperature drop on the liquid line without the insulation.

Post Likes
    I do not understand the highlighted statement.

Last, check the txv.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I'm feelin' a little peculiar.

13. Likes R600a, vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I do not understand the highlighted statement.
    about 2 degrees subcooling on vapor side

In other words, -2 degrees of superheat.

Post Likes

Maybe because the installation manual specifically says it must be insulated? The TXV is outside on a heat pump, not indoors. Big temperature drop on the liquid line without the insulation.
    I just re-read my Lennox heat pump installation manual. Nothing in there about LL insulation. Perhaps your OEM is different. In my case it doesnt matter much as it all runs through conditioned space.
    Nest is POO!!

16. Likes R600a, pacnw liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That would mean liquid refrigerant is entering the compressor. I would suspect one of your instruments or other is well out of calibration

about 2 degrees subcooling on vapor side

In other words, -2 degrees of superheat.

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Air temps indoor/outdoor/IDWB?press's/crazy dirty/plugged evap/blower wheel/ txv thermal bulb strap loose/broken/missing?Full SG?

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    That would mean liquid refrigerant is entering the compressor. I would suspect one of your instruments or other is well out of calibration
    Yup, most likely.
    If the gauges were off, then the numbers would be off for all the other units I've checked, but they are not. The other unit next to it clearly shows low charge, 15 degrees SH, 7 degrees SC, and expected pressures.

Post Likes
    Yup, most likely.
    If the gauges were off, then the numbers would be off for all the other units I've checked, but they are not. The other unit next to it clearly shows low charge, 15 degrees SH, 7 degrees SC, and expected pressures.
    Then you have a pump & not a compressor.

Post Likes
    Yup, most likely.
    How do you figure, your temp probes could be off by 2 degree and you would be looking at 0 SH on the unit in question and 17 SH on the other one and the other one would still be considered in normal range.

The only way you know if your test equipment is good is either run a calibration test on it directly or do a comparison with a "known good" test instrument.

When readings don't make sense you have to test the test instruments.

Post Likes
    What you told us is that you have negative superheat. And just for the record, in a "common normal" system, that is not possible.

Yup, most likely.

25. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yup, most likely.
    What does "expected pressures" mean? Provide the actual press readings and let us decide if they are "normal" or not.

27. Likes R600a, BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    How do you figure, your temp probes could be off by 2 degree and you would be looking at 0 SH on the unit in question and 17 SH on the other one and the other one would still be considered in normal range.

The only way you know if your test equipment is good is either run a calibration test on it directly or do a comparison with a "known good" test instrument.

When readings don't make sense you have to test the test instruments.
    75.0 to 75.2 degrees across 4 different thermometers. Virgin tank of R410A in the same room, 218.1 PSIG. Looks good to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast